Costner haters sound off!

Wow. Talk about misinformed.

I’m sure Major Rudolph Anderson wishes that you were right.

13 Days was a reasonably accurate portrayal, although it took liberties just like any other film.

There’s a good joke on The Sopranos about this…Chris says (to paraphrase) “The Cuban Missile Crisis actually happened? I thought it was all bullshit, from that movie with Kevin Costner…”

K, that I was wrong about. Sorry.

Am I wrong that O’Donnell was in a shitload of scenes he would not have actually been in, basically directing the whole Cuban Missile Crisis, which he didn’t do? That’s what I recall reviews of the film saying.

Oh, that is absolutely the truth, but that doesn’t change the substance of the movie. A good bit of the dialogue is verbatim, and O’Donnell was given a larger part as a foil for exposition between the Kennedys.

I’m not saying that Costner didn’t turn in his usual Howdy Doody type wooden performance, but again, that takes nothing from the overall authenticity.

I felt it did, because all of a sudden, actions the Kennedys took during the crisis are credited to Costner’s character. Since he produced the thing, it just struck me as tremendously self-serving. Maybe it’s a quibble. I don’t know if you would know what I meant if I said the whole thing felt like a “Mary Sue”…

As an actor under another person as director I think Costner has done some fine work including such gems as Bull Durham and Field of Dreams. As director (and I believe producer) Costner has done some incredibly self-indulgent movies of which Dances With Wolves is one of the worst (someone should have told him that being on the screen every single second is not necessary).

If I may, Field of Dreams will always hold a special place in my heart for some very “different” reasons. My wife was dying of ALS at the time that the movie came out and it was truly an inspiration for her and something (that I’m not even sure about now after some 13 years) just clicked to the point where we visited the farm where the movie was shot. Later my wife went there with our kids and the entire cast was there and Kevin’s attention to my wife was truly a “nice” gesture on his part.

Sorry I’m late to this thread, but I just saw it.

IM said it best, right away. He’s so boring. No personality, a big old cold fish. Blag.

:mad: Don’t you make fun of Pierce Brosnan!

Three cheers for Kevin Costner aka “Captain Wimpy!” Then again, maybe not! ROFLOL!

I’m a big Costner fan. I thought he was fantastic along with William Hurt in Mr. Brooks. Besides that and others mentioned in this thread, No Way Out was also suspensefully entertaining. So yeah, I also don’t get all the Costner hate.