[QUOTE=Snarky_Kong]
I didn’t watch the game, but last years 8A game wasn’t close and from what I remember Wheaton destroyed pretty much everybody they played. That being said I agree with you in the most part that in American football one player would make a huge difference. I just think that at the high school level there exist such huge disparity in talent between some teams that in a team sport a one man difference wouldn’t be a complete death sentence to the short handed team.
Would Lebron James’ high school team have won games if they played with 4 players? I suspect they would win at least some.
[/QUOTE]
I actually have some experience playing 4 on 5. I grew up in Indiana, and after HS was done and I wasn’t playing college ball anywhere, I would play in a church leage or a rec league at various times throughout the year (and intramurals in season while in college). One time in a church leage we started with 5, and lost one to fouls early in the 2nd half. We were about the same heights as the other team, so we basically played a 2-1-2 zone without the center man, and just pinched it in at all corners. We used to run ALOT, but told everyone to crash the boards on defense instead of releasing 1 or 2 on each shot. I’ve always been a pretty good scorer who could get hot and run off 16-20 straight points in a game, and although I never went crazy this game, I kept us in it, and we actually ended up with the ball, down by 1, after one of our guys stole a pass and had about a 15 foot jumper at the buzzer to win, but missed.
The second time was a rec league, again both teams about equal in height, and we lost two players in the 4th quarter to fouls, giving us 4 to play. Again we went to a 2-0-2, pinched in, and hoped the other team wouldn’t hit their open shots. We had myself and 2 other guys who could shoot, and our big man who could rebound and pass well. We also ran alot. We were down by 2 with a few seconds left and I drove and hit a little jumper to tie it at the buzzer. The other team shot poorly, we rebounded well, and again, with time running out, had a player hit a running jumper to tie the game at the buzzer, and send it to another OT. At the end of that one, the other team hit a shot to take a 2 pt lead with 5-6 seconds left, and our other guard flew up the sideline and buried a long 3 at the buzzer to win it.
Both times we weren’t against a much bigger team, or we would have had a ton of problems. In basketball, assuming roughly equal talent and height among the 9 players, 4 can play with, and with some luck, beat 5. You need the team with 5 to shoot a little worse than normal, you need to rebound well and play solid zone defense and not overcommit, and have a scorer or two get hot. It helps if you can run, because you can still create matchups in your favor by doing so.
I’ve always thought basketball was different from the other team sports like football or hockey because even though you have to work as a team, one player can still put a team on his shoulders and carry it to victory pretty much by himself.