Could they have dropped a nuclear bomb on the moon?

Along similar lines to the U-boat steel, some physics experiments (especially neutrino detectors, which are necessarily extremely sensitive) are shielded with lead salvaged from the ballast of sunken Spanish galleons. The problem with normal lead is that cosmic rays can transmute the occasional atom to something radioactive, but the water has shielded the galleon salvage for long enough that most of those transmuted atoms have decayed back to lead.

Without an atmosphere, each individual bit of debris will follow its own parabolic arc (well, technically an arc of an ellipse, but it’d be pretty close to a parabola), independent of the rest of the debris. Without an ambient atmosphere, you won’t get any sort of turbulence effects, and therefore won’t be able to form the cap of the mushroom cloud.

Interesting, we used pretty old lead blocks for primary shielding/collimation of the detectors, but to combat the lead X-rays (cosmic rays interactions with lead) we would put sheets of cadmium inside the lead wall on the detector side. The Cd was an excellent absorber of the 60 keV x rays, which are very close to some of the isotopes one was looking for as well.

I thought the lead xrays we an ongoing interaction with the cosmic ray/muons, rather than an activation product, although it could be both, and my memory could be very faulty.

Let’s blow up the moon, we have the technology.

Yes but still a pin point for a second or so, right? Hardly the horror of the mushroom cloud or anything else that would fuel the nightmares of a generation.

Do it during the New Moon so the whole surface (or at least a sizable chunk of it) becomes visible for a split-second.

That’ll scare the heathens!

Woo hoo!! We’ve proven there … used to be … life on the moon!!

Muons are pretty penetrating, but neutrino detectors are deep enough underground that they’re a non-issue. Even if natural earth isn’t the best shielding, a few miles of it will still work well enough.

From the link: This is interesting:

A 1950’s era ICBM was capable of hitting the moon? Is that true?

When we say that no modern rockets can “reach the moon”, is there an implicit assumption that we’re talking about an 11-ton payload? If we were talking about a warhead-sized payload (say 100kg), does that bring nuking the moon into the realm of feasibility for modern commercial or military rockets?

Oooh, I hate the moon… so… much! :mad:

To obtain this effect, perhaps. Sometimes you have to dream big.

That line only works if you have James Earl Jones overdubbing it.

Stranger

Or Harry Shearer.

It’s not the nukes I’m worried about, it’s that off-worlder who’s been funding all the mining operations when he knows damn well the place is played out. I’ve been suspicious of him ever since I told him I didn’t want his great Darsh face hanging over my garden wall.

I remember a pre-Apollo sf short story I read long ago. The first manned mission is interpreted by a long-dead alien race’s AI defense systems on the Moon as an attack, triggering a retaliatory response. The astronauts watch in horror as a wave of missiles passes them, heading back towards Earth…

God! If only… lousy moon!

Stupid moon, it’s full of zombies!

That’s not a moon, it’s a space station.

Is there a site for this? Seems like more of an effort to portray DoD as a bunch of bloodthirsty guys foaming at the mouth to blow up the moon.

In the event that we did blow up the moon - what would be the consequences to our planet (ignoring the possible destruction of the earth from newly formed meteorites)?

We’d no longer have a moon that would give us tides - does that mean the ocean levels would stay the same at any given time, and / or would there be other effects? This assumes there would not be any major detrius still orbiting.

Thoughts?

[THREAD=382719]If the moon disappeared, how would life on earth be affected?[/THREAD]

Stranger

There are tons of cites. Do a Google search.
Here is one: Cold War Plans To Explode Nuclear Bomb On Moon, page 1