Could we construct an anti-matter weapon today, if we could get the antimatter?

Wikipedia Antimatter

13 x 1.8×10 [sup]17[/sup] joules

When I do the E=mc[sup]2[/sup] calculation, it only works out to 1.8 x 10[sup]11[/sup]:

E = 2 x (300 000)(300 000) = 180000000000 J

If you’re working in SI units, speed needs to be in meters/sec. Or to think of it another way, Joule is defined as J=kg m[sup]2[/sup] s[sup]-2[/sup]. So energy liberatedy by 1 kg of antimatter reacting with 1kg of normal matter is (2 kg)*(3x10[sup]8[/sup] m/s)[sup]2[/sup] = 1.8x10[sup]17[/sup] kg m[sup]2[/sup] s[sup]-2[/sup] = 1.8x10[sup]17[/sup] Joules.

I have a problem and a solution ( to a different problem ).

Problem : To my knowledge, no one has yet created a perfect vacuum; I can’t provide a cite, but I heard it claimed years ago that a gram of antimatter in the best vacuum produceable would emit enough radiation to kill everyone within half a mile. There’s still to many particles in even the best modern vacuums, so researching improved versions would be a priority.

Why not use the antimatter as a “booster stage” to a fission bomb, just like with thermonuclear weapons ? I can’t think of a practical faster way to mix matter and antimatter than that.

Well, how about the “freezing to close to absolute zero” approach? That should keep stray atoms from wandering around hitting each other. Although the few that do will raise the temperature enough so that you’d have to keep cooling it.

If you could chill the whole mechanism down to near absolute zero, I’d guess that would keep the problem from getting worse, by preventing outgassing from the antimatter and/or containment vessel. I don’t think it would do much about the particles already floating about free.

:smack:

“Boosted” fission (or fission-fusion-fission) bombs increase their yield via neutron production, which more efficiently utilizes the fission elements. Photon production via antimatter reaction isn’t going to enhance a fission device, though a significant amount of antimatter-matter reactants would be impressive in their own right.

Actually, antimatter can be used to seed or initiate fusion reactions without attendant fission triggers. There is interest for this in use for propulsion (microfusion drive) and was considered as an option for a microthermonuclear version of the Orion-type rocket. The advantage of this, though, isn’t bigger and badder reactions, but actually much smaller reactions than can normally be had via fission-triggered fusion or interial confinement.

Stranger