[QUOTE=iamthewalrus(:3=]
I don’t think this would work. If there was a disaster large enough to seriously disrupt the power and transportation networks so that having enough food became a serious problem, there would be very few places remote enough to escape the surge of hungry humanity. If you can walk there from a major population center, so can millions of other people. If the disruption lasted longer than a few days, the chance of surviving, starting from a city, would be very slim indeed. Maybe if you were already out in the woods when it happened.
Personally, I think I’d be toast, unless I got to an unguarded gun shop quickly.
[/QUOTE]
I dunno-- I think most people would be inclined to stay put. They wouldn’t want to abandon their property (not fully realizing how worthless it really is), and they’d want to stay near friends and loved ones (or in a location where their friends/family would know to look for them if they’ve been seperated.) They’d want to be where they can loot grocery stores, not out in the woods where they have no clue how to find food and have no shelter.
Even if people did start wandering out into the wilderness, hunting isn’t as easy as it sounds. Most people, especially if they’re not familiar with guns, couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, let alone a moving target. (Unlikely they’d know to be stealthy, either, or know enough to check the wind patterns.) Yeah, they might be able to hack off a chunk of meat, but most people don’t know how to properly dress game. Even cooking over an open fire might be beyond many.
I predict that even if the initial apocalypse didn’t kill off a significant portion of people, they’d be dying like flies within six months. Frankly, most people are too stupid to make it during a survival-of-the-fittest situation. There’d be huge numbers of deaths from people fighting over the remaining resources, people who poisoned themselves not knowing how to cook or store foods properly*, people who tried to start generators or tap into gas lines without knowing what they were doing and suicide.
The way I see it is that you’ve got about a couple of weeks before things start getting really bad-- the supply of food in grocery stores and in people’s homes would probably last that long, as would the supply of liquor and drugs. After they run out, folks are going to start getting desperate and that’s when all hell would break loose.
- In the past, people had a bit more of an immunity to food-bourne illness due to being exposed to unsanitary conditions their whole lives.