Couldn't of/couldn't have

A way a lone a lost a last a loved a long the riverrun

Couple OF things, not couple things. I know when spoken, sometimes the of gets elided to the point where you can’t really hear it but when written it’s always necessary to add the of. I’m seeing the “couple weeks” construction more and more.

Wait to you hear someone talk about “a couple, twotree” https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/395619/root-and-meaning-of-the-phrase-couple-two-three

Over 170 posts read, nearly two months later, just for me to say:

Your prayer to St. Gaudere wasn’t answered :wink:

Thanks.

I first noticed that goof about a week later when I was reading way lower down in the thread and wondered what I’d last said. I sure didn’t see it right away when I posted, nor for the next few days as the thread progressed. :smack:

We can’t know how many other people saw it but gave me a pass. I bet it was few; this crowd can be brutal on nitpick posts gone wrong.

You and I might be the only ones who knew. Until now. Blabbermouth! :wink:

The written word usage that annoys me is using “worse” instead of “worst” (e.g. “worse case scenario” or “this is the worse trip I’ve ever been on”). I could of sworn that people knew how to use the word “worst” when I was a kid.

Mmmm… I’ll take it there’s a joke sorta hidden in there. I might of misread it though.

Anyway, on your theme I’ve often heard “if worst comes to worst”. To which I always want to interject that it’s too late apparently.

Originally, the phrase was “if worst comes to worst.” But that was ages ago.

I’ve always wanted an English teacher ask me to spell duh-zert. I would reply d-e-s-e-r-t. Because the soldier decided to desert his post!

You meant to write “anyways”.

No, he should of written “any way”. Although, in this particular elocutionary coalescence, “any ways” would also be considered grammarially veridical.

ETA: Hey, my reply was to @eschereal. How the fuck did I get a reply pointing to @california_jobcase? It literally makes me crazy.

“If wurst comes to worst.” It’s a spoilage thing.