Covid Vaccines in Canada

I don’t think that’s true. The 3-4 week gap is extremely short. Most booster shots are given after a couple of months. I believe the extremely short gap was tested by the vaccine developers because they hoped to get a product to market as fast as possible, and testing a 3 month gap would have increased their time to market by about 2 months. Two critical pandemic months.

But I think most doctors expected that a larger gap would work at least as well. They didn’t KNOW that, and there is the obvious cost of people being less protected for those additional couple of months. So yes, it was a gamble. But it was a gamble with good odds of paying off.

Here’s something new…citizens of Windsor are trying to get vaccines that are going to waste in Michigan. The unused vaccines can’t just be shipped over for - reasons. The latest idea is to set up a vaccination site on the border - in an underwater tunnel! Canadian citizens will stay on the Canadian side, and the vaccinators will stay on the U.S. side. Only the vaccine crosses the border.

That’s hilarious, though the reasons for it are rather infuriating. I would expect the tunnel hasn’t been seeing much traffic, as the commercial traffic at Detroit-Windsor all takes the Ambassador Bridge.

I think there’s enough real-world data out there now to show that delaying the second dose is working. You can see a dramatic dampening of the April surge of new cases. Even more dramatic is the prevention of a corresponding surge in deaths. Just a relative blip compared to the winter surge.

At first I wished that the US used this approach. However, there are so many holdouts in TX that vaccines were opened up for everyone way back in April. My husband and I were fully vaxxed by late March/early April. My daughter was fully vaxxed late April.

Help me decide. I just got this message from BC:

Records show that you received AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD as your first vaccine dose. You’re one step away from being fully vaccinated.

Second dose invitations will start being sent 8 weeks after your first dose - beginning on Monday, June 7, 2021.

For your second dose, you can choose one of these options:

• Get AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD at a pharmacy. The pharmacy that provided your first dose will contact you to book an appointment. No action is required on your part. Please do not call the pharmacy.
  • Get Pfizer or Moderna (mRNA) at a vaccine clinic. You will receive a text or email letting you know it is your time to book

For anyone who understands the science, is there a clear choice? If it doesn’t matter I’ll probably go with AstraZenaca, just because so many people seem afraid of it and I don’t want the doses to go to waste. If there’s more benefit to mixing, I’ll switch. I don’t have a clue, but I still have a couple of weeks to decide.

The UK study seems not to have published, yet, but preliminary results are promising – however, they seem to be finding more side effects. Not serious side effects, but “miss a day of work because you are running a fever and feel shitty” side effects.
Is it safe to ‘mix and match’ Covid-19 vaccines? Here’s what early research shows. (advisory.com)

A smaller study in Spain reports robust immune response in people who had a first dose of Astrazeneca and a second dose of Pfizer
Mix-and-match COVID vaccines trigger potent immune response (nature.com)

Xing says the antibody response to the Pfizer boost seems to be even stronger than the one most people generate after receiving two doses of the Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine, according to earlier trial data. But it is not clear how those responses compare with those seen in people who receive two doses of mRNA vaccines such as Pfizer–BioNTech’s, which tend to trigger an especially potent antibody response after a second dose.

If you can wait a couple of weeks to decide, you may have more info

Mixing COVID-19 vaccine doses leads to more reactions, study finds, which may be ‘first sign of success’ | CBC News

The participant-blinded, randomized trial has been taking place at a network of trial sites across the U.K., with more findings to come. This first round only shows the impact on post-vaccination reactions — not the overall safety or effectiveness of each mix-and-match approach.

“Whether or not this will relate to actually an improved immune response, we don’t know yet,” Snape said. “We’ll be finding out those results in a few weeks’ time.”

Thanks, really useful. I’ll have a look through these. I don’t care about a couple of days of immune-response generated side effects. And hey, I can be a data point for the future!

If my first dose had been AZ I’d probably go for a second AZ shot. There’s a robust dataset out there that shows two doses of AZ provides excellent protection, and I’m given to understand the whole clotting thing is nonexistent for second doses. There are preliminary results and the basic underlying theories of how the immune system works that say that AZ followed by Pfizer should be excellent protection as well, so it’s not like either choice is bad.

Here’s how I see it:
Selfish (slightly): get the first dose available regardless of which it is, developing higher immunity sooner is better for you
Selfless (slightly): get AZ, as there’s higher reluctance towards it and doing so will free up a dose of Pfizer/Moderna for someone else
Cautious : get AZ, as there’s a much larger body of clinical data showing its effectiveness vs mix and match doses
Early adopter: get Pfizer, as there’s preliminary data showing that the mix and match strategy might give even better protection

Honestly it’s all splitting hairs, and you’re good either way. The important thing is getting as many people vaccinated as soon as possible.

According to the current SK schedule, I’ll be eligible for a second shot on the 21st, but other age groups have had their dates bumped up by ~5 days, so if that pattern holds and I get in early I’ll be two weeks past my second shot for Canada Day. Looking forward to it!

I’m in BC and got the same message. I also got AstraZeneca for my first shot. I have been planning to get Pfizer or Moderna for my second. The way I see it, stimulating the immune system to the same pathogen via two different ways is just going to make for a more robust immune response. But now I am hesitating a bit. If I get offered AstraZeneca first it would be very difficult to turn it down…

I just checked the Sask Covid site and i’m eligible now, because my first shot was before March 22. Will go to the drive-through tomorrow.

Looks like they just added the date eligibility in the last day or two. Wasn’t there the last time I checked.

This is about six weeks earlier than they predicted when I got my first one. They said at that time that it would likely be late July for the second one.

It’s not just Canada which is trying mix’n’match approaches to the second dose:

https://news.newstree.co.in/news/the-use-of-mixed-doses-of-vaccine-is-being-done-in-these-countries-why-the-need-was-there-how-the-effect-is-happening-know-everything-159041/?amp

Shot! I forgot. Shows what a difference a first shot makes! I was checking every day until I was eligible, then went on the first day I could.

Will tie a piece of string on my finger!

New Brunswick just announced their policy for the 2nd dose. They are taking appointments for anyone with a first dose prior to April1st immediately. Starting June 14th anyone who received their first dose in April can book a second dose. Finally, as of June 21 anyone can book a second dose provided they are more than 28 days past the date of the first dose.

I’ve been fairly impressed with the speed of the roll-out since supply issues were improved. They cycled quickly through the eligible ages for the first dose and are quickly opening for the second. Kudos to New Brunswick. If all goes well with the timetable it looks like we have a good chance of seeing normal by the first week of August. Although, tbh, things have felt fairly normal for our family throughout the last 16 months or so. Not a lot of closures. A bit frustrating not to be able to travel amongst the Atlantic provinces since last November but compare to the rest of the country we have faired well.

Got my second shot today.

The first one back in March took about 5 hours, for what was billed as “drive-through” clinic. More like a “snail-through”.

This time, 39 minutes from the time I entered the park to sitting in my car waiting for the 20 minute caution time to go by. Fifty minutes all told.

When I got my first shot, they told me my second one would be in late July, based on the availability of vaccine. Seems like the feds have been steadily getting increased supplies and making them available. Six weeks earlier than projected for me.

Little bit of soreness on my arm at the injection site, but nothing to worry about.

Right now I’m just waiting for my local pharmacist to text me when I can make an appointment for my second shot. I’m supposed to hear from them within a week or so.

I’ve got a mandatory week off coming up at the end of the month, and it’d be really nice to be able to get out of the house.

As I recounted in maybe another thread, I got my first shot in late April at the Rexall in my office building (downtown Toronto). It was a piece of cake to get an appointment the first week that AZ was released to the 40+ cohort. When I got the shot, I was given a sticker that had a date for the second jab on August 7; even back then though, the pharmacist told me that they were expecting to shorten the gap from 16 to 12 weeks, should the projections on supply hold steady. Because of how Rexall books appointments, I was told to just expect a text message (and simultaneous email) when my turn came up with a link to choose an appointment time. Easy peasy.

In the interim we’ve had AZ getting yanked, then debated/studied, then the announcement that they wouldn’t give any more first doses of it, then that we’d be able to choose an MRNA vaccine for our second jab if we wanted. Hoping to sort out how that would work, I went into the Rexall on Monday to ask if, should I decide to go Pfizer for round two, was that option going to be part of the registration off of the link they’l be texting me in five weeks or so. Basically, I was told, the message will say “Come in on this day and you’ll get [vaccine that they have in stock that week].” What they offer will depend on what they’ve been supplied with most recently.

So I asked, if the text says I’m going to be given a second dose of AZ but at that point I’d prefer to get Pfizer or Moderna, can I choose it via the site as well? And basically no, not that day, I’d be put on a different waiting list for my preferred vaccine. Which, honestly, will just make me say screw it, I’ll take a second AZ dose because I want the process to end for me as soon as possible. Just another reminder how much we’re at the mercy of inconsistent supply and shipping schedules here. Which, of course , First World Problems, at least we have a choice.

I’m also feeling lucky compared to my septuagenarian parents, who got their first Pfizer jabs at the local Y in Ottawa and are getting impatient (no matter how much I plead with them to let the system work) for their second and, not having gotten any communications recently, are repeatedly spending hours on hold trying to find an earlier local appointment. No idea if that’s the provincial portal or something local. I happened to get my shot through what seems the be the easiest method in Ontario shy of a walk-up clinic (easier than that, even, as I didn’t have to wake up at the crack of stupid and stand in the rain with fingers crossed that they don’t run out by 10AM), but the ridiculous patchwork of platforms, logins, waiting lists and different dates for age brackets (“If you’re sixty and up you can use the provincial portal or the local pharmacy one if you’re fifty and up unless you can’t get the AZ only if there’s a runner on base and the moon is in the seventh house or we’re in a month with a ‘t’ in it…”) has been causing a lot of headaches, expecially for people like my parents who have enough trouble navigating the online world in the best of times.

I definitely agree. Among my team at work, the youngest member (mid 20s) was the first to get an initial jab (not AstraZeneca) and the older members (40s and 50s) were last. That doesn’t seem like that was the intent of the system (if there is indeed a coherent system).

There seems to be considerable variation amongst the provinces on delivery.

I have absolutely no idea when I could, in theory, get a second AZ shot. The place I got it gave me an appointment of August 19 but they cannot say for sure if they will have more doses then, or ever.

I asked my MPP for help and haven’t received a reply at all.