Covid Vaccines in Canada

Do you have a link to this story?

Never mind, I found the actual proposal. Here it is for anyone who wants to read it. Or bid on it!

I’m trying to figure out if I’ll get at least a first shot by my birthday in August. The fact that I can’t even consider booking until July :crossed_fingers:t4: doesn’t give me too much hope.

This United States that’s doing so well with vaccination?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-25/u-s-covid-cases-are-rising-again-reversing-months-of-progress

The seven-day average of new cases jumped to 57,695 Wednesday, 9.5% above the prior week, marking the biggest increase since Jan. 12, according to [Johns Hopkins University] data

I took a cursory look at 91-divoc (I used to check it obsessively each day) and it looks like US new cases (1 week average) are flat with a recent uptick, but new deaths (1 week average) are still falling.

One could posit that the population most vulnerable to severe illness and death has dropped drastically due to vaccination, but the general relaxation in the general population due to the well publicized vaccination numbers may be producing more infections in total.

An interesting piece of data would be the demographics (with respect to vulnerability) of the new cases. I’m not sure that is publicly available.

As long as deaths continue to drop and vaccination percentages increase, I think we are on a good trajectory.

I’ve had my first injection.

Happy dance! :dancer:t3::man_dancing:t2::dancer:t3::man_dancing:t2::dancer:t3: (To the tune of bagpipes of course)

I haven’t had my first injection yet. I’m 58, and I think there are still people out there who need it more than I do.
And I have a phobia of needles, so there’s that…

A failure to follow good practice in avoiding infection before the population gains herd immunity doesn’t change the fact they’re way ahead of us in vaccination. Just accept it, we’ve done a bad job.

Thank you!

So you think if Trudeau was as skilled a leader as Trump or Biden , Canada would have all the vaccines it needs right now?

I don’t see the relevance. I know we could have done a better job getting vaccines.

Who’s the Prime Minister? The buck stops at his desk, and the failures in Canada’s vaccine acquisition strategy are well documented.

I like Trudeau. He started Covid well given contemporary thinking. I think his economic handouts were poorly structured, and that vaccines were not handled particularly well. It is far from clear other leaders would have done a better job. It is helpful he listened to medical opinion. Some of the problems were long-standing, such as the globalization of drug companies and a failure to protect smaller Canadian companies. Others, such as diminished supplies and winding up successful international monitoring were of more recent vintage. This will not be the last pandemic. History suggests any lessons learned will soon be forgotten.

You don’t see the relevance? You don’t think comparing him to leaders successfully rolling out the vaccines is useful for judging Trudeau? Tres bizarre.

Googling this, it appears that one problem is Canada having gotten a big early commitment to a vaccine (Sonafi) that turned out to not work well enough to be authorized. That bad luck is probably a Trudeau failure. But I don’t think it tells anything predictive of future performance.

Canada also made fairly early big orders to the two vaccines that may be the most popular with the public (Moderna, Pfizer). In a couple months Canada may have a higher vaccination rate that of the great majority of high income countries, with few worried (rightly or wrongly) that they got the wrong jab.

The only reason Canada will have a higher vaccination rate than other countries is because the other countries will have vaccinated the vast majority of their population by then.

Here it is almost April, four months since the first vaccines became available, and we have vaccinated a whopping 12% of the population. People are dying every day, and now our case counts are rising again. This is a phblic health screwup of epic proportions.

One of the failures of Trudeau’s response is that he went out of his way to avoid dealjng with the U.S., our neighbor and largest trading partner, and chose instead to deal with China. He seriously trusted freaking China instead of the U.S. China screwed us over, and the U.S. is swimming in vaccine. So much that they are talking of giving us some of their excess.

Another failure was refusing to modernize two existing facilities instead of building a new one in Montreal. The developers of the new building promised it would be open by January, but sirprise, they are now saying sometime in late summer. But hey, it’s hard to reward your cronies by refurbing an existing facility. Much better to build a brand new building so all those contractors and union people can wet their beaks.

How long does Trudeau get to skate on all his failures, embarrassments and scandals? I’m guessing until at least after the next election.

instead of comparing him to Trump or Biden, how about comparing ourselves against the rest of the 1st world?

That is one sad graph. Not only are we way behind the U.S., we’re even further behind thr UK, and we are even behind the EU, which has been getting dragged in the media for its chaotic and slow vaccination system.

Playing with that I’m honestly impressed with Morocco. They’ve got a ways to go as does everyone, but they have done a pretty good job for a non-1rst world country.

It’s not nearly that good. 12% of the population has gotten A vaccine. Very few are actually vaccinated - meaning having gotten the required two shots.

Bolding is mine

Pfizer and AZ after first dose:

The investigators found that one dose of the Pfizer vaccine was 57% to 61% effective in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 after 4 weeks and that the AstraZeneca vaccine was 60% to 73% effective.

Moderna first dose efficacy:

The analysis of Pfizer’s first-dose efficacy is similar to the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, mRNA-1273, which was reported to be 92.1% in an FDA briefing document, published on December 17, 2020.

The J&J efficacy after two weeks is below 75%.

Please back up bold assertions with facts. Especially when making statements that can influence people’s vaccination decisions.

If I add Europe to your graph, Canada doesn’t seem far off.