CPAP users, tell me some stories

Didgeridoo, eh?

It’s a close call, but I suspect my wife would rather listen to my snoring.

mmm

Aha - but the didge could be practiced when she’s out of the house, or at least when she’s NOT trying to sleep :slight_smile:

I’m afraid it’s gonna be a didgereedon’t.

mmm

I own a pvc diggereedo. When I visit my beloved Mother in Florida, we go to a lot of flea markets. At one, I found a man selling a (lovingly and skillfully) modified pipe from Home Depot. He didn’t know what it was, but stood firm at $5. I can get a sound out of the digereedo. I suck at circular breathing though. The instrument is in Florida because until fairly recently, I’ve been very broke and shipping a five foot long instrument is not cheap even though it’s very light.

Just who conducted these so-called studies? Was it the Didgeridoo Society? Because I’m skeptical, though perhaps practicing any sort of woodwind or brass instrument would help with apnea. For example, I can’t imagine many sousaphone players have any such issues.

I played trombone from 5th grade through 4 years of college, every day, and I also slept in class every single day of those 17 years, presumably from sleep apnea. So I don’t know how much it helped my breathing. Maybe it kept me alive? Maybe it helped me acclimate to the CPAP?

If it’s circular breathing that’s important, a sousaphone wouldn’t work. I’d have to check Wikipedia for a list of other instruments that require circular breathing.

Another successful night. Definitely the best night of sleep I’ve had in many years: nine hours, continuous CPAP use, one interruption (urine-related).

My biggest challenge: the nose frequently gets itchy under the mask. It’s an annoyance. I do have a nasal pillow mask that I may try tonight to address this.

mmm

You’re almost ready for the really fun part of wearing the mask. I went to bed early one night and my wife came upstairs with my dog. I woke up and sat up, and my dog went absolutely apeshit. Apparently dogs aren’t keen on sharing quarters with cyborgs.

Yeah, I get that as well. Usually shortly after I put it on and the airflow starts to hit, very occasionally later. My solution - I pop open the mask and scratch briefly :slight_smile:.

Huh, why didn’t I think of that?

:grinning:

mmm

My mask is soft enough that it’s easy to snake a finger up under it to scratch. If it’s closer to the top of the mask, I snake the finger down into the mask. It annoys me that the machine will report each leak to the sleep team, but not as much as an itch annoys me.

Masks are much softer than they were a decade or more ago.

If I stop breathing my dreams immediately become claustrophobic. They will continue to get worse until I wake up. A CPAP machine is a godsend. It’s such a big deal that I bought a used unit as a backup in case my regular one fails. I also have a 12V adapter in case the power goes out and I also have backup batteries.

Clearly I’m on the severe end of the scale of people who need one. But if someone has a problem using a CPAP then both the mask and machine can be tailored to eliminate discomfort.

If I wander out into the house with my mask on and try to talk to my night owl son, he calls me Bane. :laughing:

A trumpet does not require circular breathing – and yet, some trumpet players use the technique.

I’m not sure there are any instruments that actually require circular breathing. It’s just that, if you can’t do it, it can limit how long you can hold out notes.

It’s technically not required on a digeridoo, and beginners are encouraged to play without it. It’s just that the traditional style of playing includes holding out long notes, and thus you are encouraged to learn to circular breath.

It makes sense: trumpets and the like produce sound in a similar way to the digeridoo, using buzzing lips along some sort of tube or horn. The main reason I suspect it’s not common to circular breathe on a sousaphone is just the large amount of air that is needed to play on it outdoors where it is usually played. You’d need a lot of breath support to play it with just the air in your mouth while you breathe in through your nose.

About 16 years ago, in Germany:

Other articles I found online seem to all be based on this study.

it couldn’t hurt to give it a try. Well, aside from damage to one’s marriage, friendly relations with neighbors etc. :).

Another article I saw recently involved taping one’s mouth closed. Seriously.

Nothing proven, per the article - they say people supposedly SNORED less (which makes sense, since the noise comes from the mouth) but personally I’d be skeptical as to its effect on the actual collapsing airways. Still, it might be a better option than having an exasperated and exhausted spouse tape your mouth, nose, hands, and feet, and covering your face with a pillow!

I’ll settle for my chin strap plus CPAP, thankyouverymuch.

Oh, and specific masks:
This is the one I’ve been mostly using, for the past 12 years:

Pluses: light weight, comfy. The gear comes with a very long hose (12 inches or more?) to attach to the device’s tubing, so you have a lot of room to move.
Minuses: Very easy to dislodge; the weight of the hose will pull it out of place (I use a clip to attach the hose to my clothing).

I alternate with this one:

Pluses: If your head is the right size, can work with a single strap (my noggin is large enough that it’s uncomfortably tight. as the strap is not adjustable). The pillows stay in place slightly better than the other one.
Minuses: The single strap is not adjustable. The 2-way strap is, but not as easily as the Swift. The silicone part is hard to get attached to the rigid part of the frame reliably. Can be a bit uncomfortable in hotter weather.

Bottom line though: it’s worth working with your sleep clinic or a DME provider to try a few different types. When I first got my setup, the provider came to my house; supposedly she had several different styles but I only tried the Swift, which she highly recommended.

My TMJ doctor (who is also a sleep doctor…it’s a TMJ and Sleep Therapy center) advised me to tape my lips when I was feeling a big congested. I use a nose pillow, not a full mask, for my CPAP. Having my jaw flop open during the night was not good for my jaw or my sleep apnea.

She didn’t recommend a chin strap just because of the pressure it would put on my jaw during the night (pushing it up versus holding it up with tape).

It works fine and I haven’t had any problems with the tape coming loose during the night. I use medical tape like the stuff you’d use to hold a bandage on.

But I agree with you @Mama_Zappa - I don’t see how it could possibly do anything to help the actual obstruction that is causing the snoring in the first place!! And if you’re struggling to breathe while having an apnea event, your mouth would force itself open and it would be much more likely that you swallow the tape!

My guess is that started with someone’s spouse who was kept awake by someone snoring through the night, and resorted to taping shut the mouth of the snorer.