Crackhead, crackpot, or...

Cthulhu in 2000 – why settle for the lesser of evils?

Andros said:

Actually, I have an alibi…we weren’t here yet. But for the others…if you were in the same state as Jesse Helms, and had opportunity to ship him somewhere else, wouldn’t you take advantage of it? :wink:

How about a Presidential draft??? If enough people want the same guy, he goes in, even if it’s the old guy from Hank’s barber shop down the street. I like this idea. If the Prez screws something up, and everybody starts to whine about it, he can turn around and scream, “Listen, I never wanted this job in the first place! If’n ya don’t like it, throw me out!” And of course, that’s what we’d do.

The best possible team we could come up with are Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman, but they are both regrettably deceased. Out of this year’s crop of vaudevillians, Lord, I don’t know. Maybe I’ll just do a write-in vote.

Cap, watch what you say about Cthulhu, there…that’s m’buddy.

-andros

-Polycarp

Don’t blame me either – even if I HAD been here, I wasn’t old enough to vote in 1990. But I take comfort in the fact that NC had TWO idiot senators when I arrived, and is now down to one. We’re working on it. Slowly.

I think that’s a wonderful idea, Pickman–let’s draft the old guy from Hank’s barber shop down the street! I always liked him, and he gives free lollipops.

As a person who has never voted, do all states have the write-in option?

Clinton did not evade the draft. Therefore he is NOT a draft dodger. He avoided it.

It isn’t illegal to avoid something so long as to avoid it you don’t evade it in the process.

This is the same as saying someone who avoids paying taxes by taking a deduction is evading taxes. Which is not true.

That’s evasive reasoning, Mark! :wink:

The old guy at Hank’s is beginning to look more and more suitable. Today’s News and Observer has a really great cartoon in it in which the (IMHO ridiculous) candidacy of Warren Beatty is ridiculed, but (the thing that makes it both hilarious and scary) the description of Beatty is illustrated by cartoons of Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush, and Clinton, each with a phrase that clearly describes Beatty and also the president illustrating it.

The guts of the controversy surrounding Clinton and the draft is as follows.

In spring of 1969, while at Oxford, he received his induction notice for July 28 of that year. In early July he returned home and met with the head of the UA ROTC program. He agreed to join the UA program and thus garnered a 1-D deferment. He did not join the program, though. He returned to Oxford. On Dec 1, 1969 he got #311 in the first draft lottery and on Dec. 3 sent a letter to the UA ROTC head saying, basically, that he wasn’t going to show up.

You can get a detailed chronology here: http://www.dacor.net/w45/pic.htm

If you’re a Clintonista, I’ll warn you in advance it’s not a Mr. Bill friendly site.

If you want a different flavor of the story, go to http://www.thebighub.com/ and run a search for “ROTC Clinton draft” w/o the quotes); you’ll get lots of sites.

As far as the current crop, who knows who’ll prevail at the conventions. Buchannan must realize he doesn’t have much of a chance of getting the Republican nomination. Gore seems a little weaker than expected right now, but Clinton didn’t look like he was likely to be the nominee this far out in front of the 1992 convention. For that matter, Carter kind of came out of nowhere in '76. And geez,…look at the votes Perot got after he’d revealed his flake quotient.

If I had to choose today, it’d be George.

I’ll just watch and yawn…

I didn’t live in NC when that election came up, though I did remember being hit up for donations to a “Elect Harvey Gant” fund all the way un in NYC.

Know what I did? I refused… It was not my job as a New Yorker to get involved with a juristiction that I did not live in, pay taxes in, and even could find on a map!

Got into a big argument with a douche bag on a newsgroup I go to where she said “I deserve him (Helms).”

My response was - No, since you had the power to vote, I’d say you deserved him. After all, the way you get a politician out is to VOTE AGAINST THEM, and obviously, I couldn’t help them there. And she did a shitty job of it herself!

She also pointed out that “he makes laws that affect everyone.” Um, no, cunt-lips… You see, he has a vote on laws, but it takes everyone (well, a large percentage of them) to make a law. I reminded her to watch that “I’m just a bill” Schoolhouse Rock item for confirmation on this.

Ultimately, I hate it when people try and influence elections in areas they do not reside in. Think locally!!

Do you even need to think about it?

Gore.

The legacy.

He’s got the nomination no matter what Bradley does and he’s going to win. He’s Earth-minded, techno-sharp, appeals to women, and he will get a foreign policy and economic policy legacy from Clinton that will get him going running. He might could have Hillary Rodham Clinton helping him swing some weihgt in Congress and he might be the guy that can finally get this Internet regulated. I think he’s inevitable.

Ouch… I am completely against regulating the Internet. I would have to say goodbye to gwbush.com and albore.com

Boris B wrote:

I thought the Flat Earth Party was what the Taxpayers Party called itself in Wyoming. (The Taxpayers Party, also known as the Republicans-aren’t-nearly-right-wing-enough New-World-Order-conspiracy-theory Party, call themselves the American Independent Party here in California.)

Quick-N-Dirty Aviation: Trading altitude for airspeed since 1992.