Cricket Anyone?

Radio broadcasts of cricket reached their ultimate conclusion in 1934 when Australia was playing in England. The Test matches (i.e. internationals) were broadcast “live” by commentators in Sydney based on telexes sent from England every couple of minutes and added sound effects. These became known as the Synthetic Tests

As a point of order, South Africa are currently the third best cricket in the world. Daylight is second :wink:

Read The Tented Field. It’s a history of Cricket in the United States. Parts of it are dry, but overall a good read.

IANACE, but I read up on it a while back because it’s fun to watch at my local English pub (in the US). A couple of interesting things, IIRC. There is no out-of-bounds, so the batter can hit the ball in any direction including directly behind him. Also, I believe that the umpire never (or in most cases) calls an out until the the team making the out says something like “whattsit”.

Neat game, I can watch it all day as long as I’ve got a beer in front of me.

Oh, it’s also pretty funny when they take a break and wheel out a cart for tea time. Or maybe it’s gin and tonics. :slight_smile:

That would be “Howzat” (how was that - i.e. out or not out). It’s not compulsory for all out decisions, but there’s bound to be an appeal from the fielding side if there’s any chance of the batsman being out.

Pretty much how I watch it too.

There are two official meal breaks during a day’s play - one for lunch and one for tea - and the players leave the field for them. On-field drinks intervals are optional extras if the weather is particularly hot. These days players are likely to be drinking something isotonic rather than G&T’s, but the club-tie-and-Panama-hat-wearers in the Members’ Pavillion will certainly be consuming something stronger.

Three things:
[list=1][li]Tea is used in the British sense of a light meal in the afternoon. From my online dictionary:[/li]

[]Gnos: Tell me where you’re located and I’ll post information about local cricket clubs for you.[]And, if you’re interested, I can post some info about Rounders.[/list=1]

Interesting. The same thing has been done with baseball. Also, many of the most beloved announcers have been prone to wander off into other subjects.

Couple of things for you,

First, a Draw in Cricket is not the same thing as a Tie. A Tied match (Cricket is played in matches, not games) is one in which both sides (not teams) have the same score upon completion of a match. A Drawn match is one with no result (not completed).

Second, here are the two books I have at home concerning Cricket:
[list=1][li]The Tented Field: A History of Criceket in America, ISBN 0-87972-770-5 (paperback) or 0-87972-769-1 (clothbound)CRICKET for AMERICANS: Playing, and Understanding the Game, ISBN 0-87972-606-7 (clothbound) or 0-87972-607-5 (paperback)[/list=1][/li]Both books are authored by Tom Melville and published by Bowling Green State University Popular Press of Bowling Green, Ohio.

Good luck!

rsa is correct, the umpire cannot make a decision about whether the batsman is out, until someone in the fielding team appeals to the umpire (usually by facing him, holding up arms, and shouting ‘Howzat?’).

In the old days, the batsman ‘walked’ when he knew he was out, and didn’t wait for the appeal, but they don’t do it nowadays, and its just not cricket.

I’m in Atlanta, Georgia.

Atlanta? Excellent!

Here’s a club with a website:
http://www.gymkhanacricket.com/

That’s a good place to get information. Good luck!

Of course. Remember the scene in Bull Durham where they were doing this.

I’m not particularly keen on Cricket, but I thought I’d just chime in to say that it was invented (well, the rules were formalised) in the village of Hambledon, a stone’s throw from where I live.

Surprised that no-one else has posted this well known description-

"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he is out. When they are all out, the side that’s been out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

“When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out, he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who are all out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.”

Simple, eh

:rolleyes:

Another cricket question - I was watching a SportsNight rerun and in one of the subplots was a cricket match. They mention someone lasting all 10 wickets in an inning and it being an amazing feat.
Does this even make sense? And if so, what happened in the match?

amarinth - In any cricket match, at least two bowlers are used and often as many as 6 or 7 during an inning. There are only 10 wickets that can be taken during an inning, so for just one bowler to capture them all is a very rare feat. Capturing just four wickets in an inning is regarded as an achievement, while statisticians often show in a bowlers records the number of times he has taken 5 wickets in an inning or 10 wickets in the match (two innings), both of which of are noteworthy acomplishments - analagous to scoring 50 or 100 runs as a batsman.

So - yes, it is a rare and noteworthy performance!!

Gp

You know, I’m born and bred British and the rules of cricket still confuse me. I’m starting to suspect that this is why I (and many others) prefer football. Once you’ve mastered the offside rule you can take it easy.

grimpixie, I read what amarinth wrote differently. I thought he was talking about a BATTER LASTING 10 wickets. Which would mean one of the openers was not out when everyone else in his team was.

Either way, both scenarios are pretty amazing.

You’re probably right - that’s called “carrying your bat” and while it is rare, it is a lot more common than taking 10 wickets in an inning which has only happened twice in Test (international) cricket:

10/53  JC Laker  England v Australia at Manchester, 4th Test, 1956 
10/74  A Kumble  India v Pakistan at Delhi, 2nd Test, 1998/99  

From CricInfo

Gp