Cricket ball question....

And “retired out.” As opposed to “retired not out” in cases of injury. “Retired out” is when, for whatever reason, the batsman vacates the crease. I’ve seen it once in a game I was playing in; the scorer wrote it down as “retired bored.” (He’d just hit 51 without breaking a sweat.)

So we’re up to 11. Nigel (not Phil) Tufnell would be proud.

IIRC, this isn’t actually ‘out’. He’s just not allowed to come back.

Timed out. Gaah. How could I forget that? We’ve been victims of that a few times when the batsman wanders off to grab a pie and comes back to find us out in the field.

Sure - come on down. Our captain’s taken off to China and we’re having a hard time putting 11 on the field. The commute may be a mongrel, but on the bright side we don’t practice, so you’d only have to be at the ground every Saturday from 2-6 AEST.

Oh. and we play pretty close to the airport, so that’ll help.

Cricket explained BY AN AMERICAN! You 'merkins might find this guy’s discription useful.

Lamar Mundane, my experience in baseball only extends to playing a couple of games for a friend’s team because they were short a player - but I still submit that getting hit by a baseball hurts far less than a cricket ball. I also hear a lot more about cricket injuries than baseball ones, but that might be because baseball receives no tv coverage where I live :slight_smile:

As for hot single cricket chicks, I’m not sure if this one’s single, but she sure fits the bill for “hot”.

http://www.sarahjane.com.au/images/Gallery/356.htm

TheLoadedDog - I’ve been wondering how anyone could find cricket confusing all through this thread, and after I read your link, now I know. It confused me, and I’ve played since I was 4 years old or something!

Today’s your lucky day. Sorta.

It’s available in the US (Pay-TV).

First, you or someone will need to have DISH Satellite.

They’re offering a package deal of $300 for the entire World Cup (54 matches) starting on the 8th. I’m unaware of any single match deals, but do find out.

I can’t tell you how ecstatic I am. I’m a foreign student from India in the US (yeah, a meanie :D) and haven’t watched any cricket for 20 months now. One of my friends staying off-campus, got DISH and has bought the package. I’m kissing my midterms goodbye :slight_smile:

And as an addendum, it seems that DISH is also offering Commercial access for $1500 (univs/theaters/bars…etc)

Now, I know that there’s a couple of places in LA, Dallas that are broadcasting this. Duke, since you’re in NY state, maybe it’s feasible for you to go to NYC or NJ. I’m positive that there will be some establishments where you can watch a solitary match.

Gyan, here’s the irony. I’ve got a friend back in LA who runs an Indian restaurant. He’s paying for that $1,500 World Cup package and holding nightly parties around it. He invited me, but as I had to take up a job out here in NY State, I obviously had to decline :frowning: And NYC is at least a 7-hour drive for me, so that’s out of the question too. But Toronto is close enough. A lot of the Indian or West Indian bars will be showing matches. I was there yesterday and I’m going back in two weeks. :slight_smile:

BigNik, here is the law covering “retired out” (Section 9). I have seen scorecards in Wisden which make it clear that “retired out” is the same as a fall of a wicket; it’s true the referenced law doesn’t make that clear.

You don’t hear about baseball injuries as often because they don’t happen as often. Pitchers are not allowed to hit the batter in baseball, so they try to avoid doing so, unlike in cricket. Plus, the players have gloves with webbing to assist in catching the ball.

As someone who has been hit by both baseballs and cricket balls, I can attest to the fact that they hurt about the same from a similar throw.

The deliberate bowling at the batsman has always been controversial. This was brought to a head in the famous “Bodyline” tour of Australia in 1939 with ill feeling on both sides . This link tells the full story :-

http://www.abcofcricket.com/A_Legend_Is_Born/Bodyline/bodyline.htm

For 1939 please read 1932

A standard Cricket ball weighs 5 oz and is harder than a baseball. Even stronger as it gets hit more often and harder so it needs to be stronger.

Dear SP,

I understand that - fielding at mid-off - you are obliged to regularly handle the ball as a link of the wicketkeeper-to-bowler chain. I further understand that your commitment to the team has been recently in question, and you are eager to prove that you are not, as had been alleged, a liability that we keep around to ensure we have at least nine on the field at any time.

I recognise, therefore, that when I was bowling this afternoon, and was not ready to take the ball from you, you attempted to use your apparently abundant saliva to shine the ball in the service of your team. On behalf of the entire side, may I applaud the uncharacteristically selfless forethought you showed in this instance.

Accordingly, I recognise that I reached my bowling mark rather sooner than you had anticipated, and you had only completed the preparatory work before actually commencing to rub the ball on your trouser leg to apply the shine.

Please be advised that, in future, it would be greatly appreciated if you would at least make a show of wiping your salivary excretions from the ball before throwing it to me. I understand that the ball would not have carried sufficient moisture to drown a medium-sized cat if you were not currently suffering from a cold and had a substantial amount of mucus in the spittle you had applied to the ball. Please recognise that it was this selfsame mucus that provided me sufficient grip to pelt the ball back at your unfortunately oversized skull with as much force as I was able to apply this afternoon.

The invective I used shortly thereafter was, however, my own addition. The threats made against your family while I was trying to wip my fingers clean on the dry grass may not be carried out, depending on whether or not I can gain your address from our club secretary over the coming week.

Yours sincerely,
BigNik.

It is quite extraordinary how complicated it gets when trying to describe even the simplest of crickets rules to a new comer- and seppo’s seem to struggle the most. Good on them for trying tho, buggered if I’ll ever understand gridiron:)

Thanks for the explanations, guys. Between the posts by BigNik and TheLoadedDog I think I got something of a grasp on what’s going on. Not the subtlties, of course. Like anything worth watching, I’m sure half a lifetime would be needed for that.

Man, five days for a game? Next time someone says baseball is too slow, I’ll refer 'em to cricket. I didn’t mention it in my previous post, but that time I watched it, when one of the batsmen was, um, given out (?), he got in his car and drive away. I thought he was miffed; guess he just had to feed the dog or something.

DD

In 1939 England and South Africa played what is called the Timeless Test. They decided they didn’t want to play the final match of the series at a frenetic five day pace, but instead to have no time limit so that a result would “definitely” be achieved.

After 11 days, the English team’s ship was ready to sail but there was still no result. England stepped up the “pace” and got close to victory, needing just 42 runs with 5 wickets remaining. Then it started raining, so they had to abandon the test as a draw after all.

Here’s a full scorecard for the Timeless Test.

Just in case you’re interested and haven’t spotted it yet, there’s a thread in IMHO covering the Cricket World Cup. The matches in that competition are one-day, limited overs matches.

And next time someone says Cricket’s too slow, I’ll refer them to the World Series or to the championship series. A test match is more akin to those two than it is to a single game of baseball. Now, there is a type of Cricket which is very much like baseball, so much so that it’s even called by some “vertical baseball”: Limited Overs or One-day International Cricket. I suppose you could also include Cricket Max in the “very much like baseball” category.