Critique my Colorado trip plan!

Oh man, I’m going to have to go to O’Dell. That is my favorite IPA.

In Boulder, there’s Kim and Jake’s GF bakery, which is excellent. Also Shine, which is an entirely GF upscale restaurant. We are not GF, and we go there now and then, because the food is actually pretty good. So are the cocktails :).

For GF drinking, there are also a growing number of cideries about. I’d highly recommend going to Acreage in Lafayette (15 minutes east of Boulder). Excellent food and ciders, and, if you can score a table out on the patio, some of the most outstanding views of the Boulder Valley and the Front Range around. If you’re lucky, they’ll have the Jalapearno available–pear cider with jalapeño. So good.

I agree about the Flat part…but Fat Tire is an Amber Ale, not a lager. And yes, NB does make some other fine adult beverages.

Another vote for Odell Brewing Co (note spelling, no apostrophe). One of my faves by them is Myrcenary. I have “Myrcenized” myself a few times.

Well poop. Due to a miscommunication, we are down to 5 days total for our trip, including a 9-10-hour drive each way. That only leaves 3 whole days for fun.

I think we’ll just go straight to RMNP and spend it all there. 3 good long day hikes should be a perfectly fine vacation, anyway.

Your first day is going to be tough at altitude. With a trip that short there’s almost no time to acclimatize. Estes Park is 7500’ all the hikes above there will be challenging coming up from Kansas. Take it very easy that first day, drink lots of water, little or no caffine/alcohol, and plenty of sleep. Plan for fairly short hikes until you’ve had at least one full night’s sleep above 7000’.

Try to get over to Mesa Verde. That’s all I’ve got.

Ok, the plan NOW is:

Day 1: Drive.
Night 1: Sleep at 5k’.
Day 2: Drive through RMNP on Trail Ridge Road, take time looking at stuff and hiking a mile or two here and there. Breathe lots of thin air.
Night 2: Sleep at Grand Lake, 8k’.
Day 3: “Easy” day hike in RMNP. (Open to suggestions)
Night 3: Sleep in Estes Park, 7.5k’.
Day 4: Hike to the top of something. Looking at possibly Flattop Mountain. Again, open to suggestions.