Crop circles: how do those guys make such intricate patterns?

Maybe something like how this guy does his beach art?

Sadly, I don’t need the possible legal trouble and have stopped. It was certainly fun, but it takes some practice, and it’s hard on the legs. I’d compare it to wading for a few hours in a lake as every step requires more effort because you’re pushing the plank down, and there’s resistance from the crop. Circles also take some effort to get right. Because it’s easier to push the wheat down alongside a prior pass, you start drifting in that direction. You really have to watch that edge.

Yes, I am familiar with their work but they never explain HOW they actually do it. They’re a pretty well known group, and have produced several circles to order for TV commercials etc (I remember they did one for Weetabix).

So there’s no doubt they can do it, but it still boggles my mind how they can make such beautiful and precise patterns of such size in such a short time.

This section is a good read: ¤ c i r c l e m a k e r s ¤

And this: ¤ c i r c l e m a k e r s ¤

The farmer we buy hay from has a cornfield maze every year that is extremely challenging. He designs them on his computer and with graph paper so that the maze contains a hidden design, recognizable from the air. Check out his designs and discussion.

Does the corn recover? Seems a bit mean otherwise.

In the case of a scientifically-established genuine crop circle:
How does your board-flopping crew get each stem of crop
to grow a new node at ground level?

When examined close-up, the lower part of the stem remains upright…
the rest of the stem is found as if it’s always been growing parallel
to the ground.
The bend in the stem looks as if the plant was trained to grow that way.
There is no sign of a broken stem.

The other hugely significant point in Rich’s vids, link below, is this:
YES there’s a contract team of artist types, paid handsomely to make
fake crop circles. In fact most circles will be unmistakably done by
board-flattery. Only perhaps 1 on 20 crop circles will be authentic,
with grown-bent stems as I described.

So why would MI5 or was it MI6 bribe students huge sums to create fakes?
(The Team Leader lives in an expensive unmarked Govt apartment in Dockland)

Here’s an idea: say you want to hide something, something so huge you
can’t easily stuff it in a luggage locker. Best to hide it in plain sight, right?

Get your workers to create fakes … the word gets round that crop circles
are fakes.

When a real circle appears, most people will automatically say it’s
them board-hoppers at work, and people will be less inclined to look at
what you don’t want them to see.

I personally wasn’t in the least interested in the topic precisely because
I assumed the phenomenon is all hoax. The Powers That Be nearly succeeded
in keeping me off the track, so to speak. Thank goddess I watched Rich’s video,
and learned about each stem regrowing as if instantaneously.

Smart decoy tactics? I think so. Just not smart enough.

Then there is the super-curious evidence that the genuine crop circle artist
comes along under cover of darkness, and ADDS its own circle artwork
to the fake from the Ministry. Believe it or Ripley not :cool:

I have no idea who or what or how is the real circle creator BTW

I have my suspicions, but you have more than enough to check… or to scoff at.

(check Rich’s video at http://www.richplanet.net/detail.php?dbindex=207

Well they weren’t stupid were they? You don’t need math or paper. You draw a figure in the dirt small enough that you can see it. Use string to lay out a very basic grid noting the distance between important points in the figure and scale up.

Well, no doubt if the farmer did live right next to the field, and was sitting up on his roof all night looking and listening for circle-makers, the circle-makers would indeed have to be incredibly stealthy.
But I suspect most farmers sleep at night and/or live a moderate distance from most of their fields.
(And circle-makers do have the ability to scout out a field and make sure there’s no house right next door, you know…)

I don’t know what you mean by “scientifically-established genuine crop circle”. If you go out and look and see that, yup, there’s a crop circle out there, that’s scientific verification that it’s genuine.

But to answer your question, if you happen to want your crop circle to look weird in some particular way, all you have to do is to arrange for the first person to investigate it to be an ignorant big-city reporter who doesn’t know anything about wheat, and who will therefore think anything he sees looks weird. Or even simpler, don’t bother arranging that at all, since it’s likely to happen anyway whatever you do.

So you’re saying the people making the fake ones are just there to make sure we don’t catch on to the aliens?

Also, anytime someone says ‘thank goddess’ I make sure to doubly believe anything they say.

I will admit to wondering how long it would take before we got a Feb 2014 registration date into this thread.

I presonally welcome our secretive crop-circle making alien overlords. They have a lovely sense of artistic and mathematical beauty.

Standard woo reaction to any given instance of woo being debunked is to say, “Oh yeah, sure, that instance is fake/scientifically explicable etc but there are other instances where it totally is caused by aliens/deities/supernatural”.

Of course, this could be true. It’s just that you have to wonder how many instances have to be proven to have a perfectly ordinary explanation before you become sceptical of all instances.

If you bothered to read the part where I mention that a “genuine crop circle” stem shows a different growth node compared with the simple bend or break of e.g. a faked circle stem, would you have something serious to add?

You immediately rush to say “But to answer your question” but then leave us completely in the dark as to what you thought my question was.

I’d be the first to agree my typing may well confuse you expert crop-circle board walkers … therefore I provided a link to a well-thought-out video which even I found quite intelligible. If you’d care to check the vid … I’d look forward to your further comments. Thanks. :cool:

SOME, maybe most, of the professional fakirs are paid BY certain
higher authorities who are very keen to distract (y)our attention
from the genuine thing
(you said aliens: my lips are sealed. Thank goddess) :cool:

So do you think it’s aliens or not? If not, what is it? Don’t be shy now.

Don’t give us any of this “lips are sealed” malarkey: that will send you straight to the box marked “you ain’t got nuthin’”. I think we all learned to be sceptical about that ploy in grade school.

WikiHow: How to make a crop circle

Simple yes/no question. Have you been abducted?

Some farmers offset the losses by charging people to come look at the crop circle, but the corn will be damaged (or at least made harder to harvest) which can cost up to £1000 a circle.