Crossword Clue Game

1. This, from a cat, can produce fever.
  2. “_____ & Dent” sale (cheap, slightly damaged).
  3. As an app, Jr. will teach preschoolers basic skills.
  4. Resist doing this to a rash.
  5. Cats have posts for it.

Winner is @Dr_Paprika with:

and runner-ups are @Knowed_Out with:

and @Spoons with:

Very good entries all!

You’re up next, @Dr_Paprika!

Thanks. Just reviewed all the previous words.

The next word is CLEAR. Good luck.

1. The best way for a coast to be
  2. A kind of present danger
  3. ___ your throat (ahem!)
  4. State Scientologists seek
  5. Shout by an EMT before using the defibrillator
  1. Glass property
  2. Nixon’s noun after “perfectly”
  3. Remove dishes
  4. Mud simile
  5. Wiper’s job
  1. Bell’s audio quality
  2. Exonerate
  3. Safe condition of a coast
  4. With loud, understandable
  5. First of Celts and Shakespearean king are transparent

I guess that’s about 24h. I liked all the entries. Especially “the state Scientologist seek”, by Chief Thetan @needscoffee, and Nixon’s noun by @Spoons. But I am partial to cryptic clues, which may not be fair because not everyone enjoys these puzzles.

Nevertheless, I award the next round to @Knowed_Out for the final clue of “First of Celts and Shakespearean King are transparent”. Congratulations all.

Ok, I’ll admit it. I need someone to explain this one to me.

“First of Celts” would be the letter C.

“Shakespearean King” would be LEAR.

“Are transparent” helps to make it clear (ha!) that we’re not looking for Kings Henry IV or V, who are also Shakespearean kings. So, C + LEAR = CLEAR.

Well done, Knowed Out!

Thank you. Clever.

Atypically for me, I was being too literal. Hmmm. Hope I get over that.

“First of Celts and Shakespearean King are transparent” was very clever. I was able to puzzle it out, but I suspect that was only because I already knew the answer.

I actually do better at cryptics than I do regular crosswords. :sunglasses:

The new word is FINGER

Average grade of cleaning brothers?

:wink:

Continue with FINGER.

1. Digit
  2. Ring is one
  3. Place for a nail
  4. Two can be snappy
  5. Poker?
  1. Polydactylous duplicative
  2. Something you give to someone who angers you, or something you lift for someone who needs you
  3. Kindergartner’s painting implement
  4. Lady’s fundamental ingredient in tiramisu
  5. It’s this lickin’ good

If you like regular crosswords, you might like cryptics. There must be some introductory puzzles and explanations on the Interweb, because you have to understand the conventions. The above clue was easy by cryptic standards, but “first of” is a standard clue. There are lots of others, and anagrams are the norm.

I’ve tried cryptics and have never been able to get anywhere with them. Maybe I have to start at kindergarten level and work my way up.

Cryptics are not the easiest skill to learn. Games Magazine used to have the occasional easy cryptic. Once you know the conventions it might just be easier to look at answers and figure out where they came from.

Anyway, for finger:

1. Tactile dactyl
  2. Limb at the lips of the librarian?
  3. Can be followed by paints, prints or puppets
  4. Has a knuckle and a nail
  5. Types include ring, middle and trigger

And some (bad) cryptic clues (for practice, not all of these are easy):

1. A toff in Germany, bent to grasp teacup
  2. Point out a fringe benefit?
  3. Where to wear an iron ring? Elementary.
  4. Relief pitcher Rollie (if single minded).
  5. Paul Simon’s Myth, without the Prince

Spoilers (1-5, respectively):

1. A tofF IN GERmany … sometimes the answer is literally written into the clue.

2. Finger is an anagram of Fringe. These are common, and often mix different words as well.

3. Roman numerals, capital letters and elements are fair game. FE=iron, FE and RING anagram to FINGER.

4. Rollie FingerS is a famous relief pitcher in baseball, but we don’t want the extra S.

5. The Myth Of Fingerprints is a Paul Simon Song from (I think) The Rhythm of the Saints. Prince=prints, homonyms are common in cryptic puzzles. So Fingerprints without the “prince” leaves FINGER.

There have been some really challenging clues presented. I had to some research to decide the winner, and learned some new things.

There is a difference between “polydactyl” and “dactyl.” “Polydactyl” describes someone who has more than the normal amount of digits. “Dactyl” is a term for a three-syllable word that stresses only the first syllable. EX: “poetry.”

So this one is incorrect without the “poly.”

This one wins! Grats @needscoffee!