Crossword Puzzles - Love 'em or ... don't

Fortunate in reverse? Xat returns?

And

could be confused tango pen.

One of my favorite from Cox and Rathvon a decade or so ago: Sow observed on “The Beverly Hillbillies”? (4)

Very good from_a_to_z - Reversal of fortune and tax returns.

The first is “Reversal of Fortune”
The second, I think is “Tax Returns”

My problem with British cryptics is that there are way too many answers that involve knowledge of Rugby teams and obscure counties. American cryptics aren’t a problem, even the interesting Atlantic style ones.

As for regular crosswords, I do the ones in the Times, but too many are boring.

ETA: I did not see the previous response when I was writing this one!

Awesome! Thank you!

One Sunday a bunch of family members were doing one titled “Ampersand.”

We struggled like hell till we realized what it required. A clue might have been, “October 31 loot,” and there would be 3 letters, so we thought something like “pez,” but the answer was…C&Y (candy).

or POTSCRUBBER

POTSCRUBBER, PALINDROMIC, whatever. But it didn’t fit the puzzle.

Well, that’ll teach you to write in anything I tell you, won’t it? If you’re going to write in an eleven letter word without anything else crossing it, maybe you’d better give me that puzzle…

:smiley:

I like a good puzzle. The New York Times is really the only interesting one I’ve found (especially on Fridays). I especially like their puzzle that use symbols or multiple letters in a square.

I’m also a fan of cryptics, but I can’t find them easily (and I rarely finish them completely). Still, even getting half the clues gives a big sense of pride.

Are there any good cryptics online? I liked doing the Globe and Mail puzzle, but they started charging for it a few years ago.

Yeah, going back to Merl Reagle, I remember working on a crossword where I knew the answer had to be, “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid”. Every other word was right, to the best of my knowledge, except for that pesky “Sun”. And then it hit me, put a sun symbol, and it all worked out.

I do these crosswords every so often. Unfortunately, they often have mistakes, or unusual spellings. In one the other day the clue was “let’s go!” the answer was “cmon”. Is that even a word?