Cruise Control Question

Contrary to popular opinion here (at least of some), it is not inherently easier or safer or better to brake by shifting your foot from the accellerator to the brake pedal. There are any number of positions in which you can keep a foot and react by braking in a quick and efficient manor, including lying on the floor right in front of the brake pedal. :wink:

I use cruise control a lot. It’s generally fine for driving when not in congested traffic. It’s fairly annoying when you can’t use it, and on two occasions in the last 10 years, I’ve had cars that the cruise control conked out on, and I seriously considered giving those cars up when that happened, especially after a drive of any decent distance. I was never so happy as the day the '96 Sable’s cruise control was suddenly working again when I idly pushed the button! :smiley:

I didn’t say it was; I take issue with it being presented as if it were less safe. I’m open to it being a possibility, but I’ve never heard that argument before in advocation of a perk of cruise control.

Depends on the car and how tired I am. I uae cruse control so I do not have to keep looking down at the speed o meter.

I love my cruise control. I actually just bought a new car and cruise was a MUST!! My family lives almost 6 hours away and a long trip is much, much, much easier with cruise.

(… I just need to figure out how it works on the new car…)

I have REALLY long legs…as in can’t buy pants at any regular store. Since my upper leg can’t really rest on the seat while my foot is on the accelerator, I get cramp after 10-15 minutes at one speed. Stop an go isn’t an issue, but I use the cruise control pretty much any time traffic is moving steady. When I get in a rental car, I figure out how to work the lights, the wipers, and the cruise control before starting it up.

This might be true in your vehicle, but, if you’ll pardon the expression, YMMV. :smiley:

Each vehicle is different. On my Prius, using the cruise control actually decreases my mileage somewhat. I might get 44 - 45 with the cruise, but 48 without it. That said, however, I will gladly give up those few miles per gallon for the convenience of cruise. I get MUCH less tired driving with the cruise on.

J.