Crush on Co-Worker---How to Cope ?

Others have given mostly good advice but this “she’s married so nothing will happen” is pretty naive. I mean, do think adultery never happens? That should be rephrased to say that you should hope against hope that nothing ever happens.

It’s just a disaster all the way around. I cannot even list all of the bad things that will come of that. It’s not like in the movies. Think her husband in the parking lot just wanting to “talk.”

And some of the other posters are frightening in their desire to keep society in a bubble. What in the world is wrong with striking up a conversation on a bus or in a store? Yes, have some social clues and if she indicates that she isn’t interested, then drop it, but why is it so bad to have to turn down a guy asking you out for coffee? Just say “no thanks. I’m married/engaged/too busy/taking care of a sick relative/just in town for a little bit/gay/give a fake number/whatever.”

Is it really too emotionally traumatic to talk? To hear some people talk, it is. I actually had a woman complain to me that she was just out at a bar trying to have drinks with her friends and some guy hit on her. I mean, damn, it was a bar!

You could say that about anywhere. “What is up with these guys trying to get laid? I mean, here I am at a ___________, and I’m trying to do (whatever being at a ______ consists of) and this guy bothers me by asking me out!” I’m with the other poster: it seems that unless you are at an orgy, on social media, or at a speed date setup, it is also improper to ask, however,

it seems that the outrage that some women have is inversely proportional to their own subjective view about how attractive the guy is.

One more vote for this. DH and I both have work crushes on occasion, and that’s the path we take - don’t find excuses to be alone with the person, don’t make a point to go to work happy hours that you know they’ll attend, don’t put yourself in a position where temptation could strike.