Cultivating Opium Poppies

I freely admit my GoogleFu is weak. I can’t find info to back this up as related to the OP.

This site claims that "growing opium poppies is currently illegal in the US " and this Wikipedia article claims:

However goes on to claim:

I’m assuming this means certain varieties are illegal to have purposefully growing in your backyard as that would count as possession.

Or “If I dragged someone down a dark alley and murdered them - I’m not saying I would, but if I did…”

I can’t believe it would work like that - ignorance of the law is not usually an excuse.

Well, perhaps he has plans to expand the range of stock sold in this little cosy village shop. :smiley:

Anyway, I bet he could source anthrax from Gruinard. :smiley:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1457035.stm

Whoah, that was too funny!

You’ve got it backwards: ignorance isn’t an excuse, knowledge is the crime.

Hmmm… thoughtcrime, eh?

Oh no – definitely not. I’ve known a few people who tried this, and while poppy seeds are quite variable in morphine content, but the people making them into tea are certainly not faking or falling for a placebo. One of my local acquaintances thought he could get high without consequences by switching to poppy seed tea instead of pills, and he was able to last for almost a month before his next urine test revealed pretty high levels of morphine and codeine and got him in big trouble for parole violation. Shortly thereafter he was gone from the clinic and I don’t know what happened to him after that.

Later on, a couple friends helped me test this for my book. We bought a bunch of poppy seeds from a grocery store and prepared about … dangit, can’t find my notes … well, we prepared 10-12 batches of tea, took a sample of each, and had another friend who worked at a lab analyze it for us. The results were, as I said, highly variable, but they all contained the equivalent of between 5 and 20mg of morphine, which is easily enough to feel real effects.

Oh no – definitely not. I’ve known a few people who tried this, and while poppy seeds are quite variable in morphine content, but the people making them into tea are certainly not faking or falling for a placebo. One of my local acquaintances thought he could get high without consequences by switching to poppy seed tea instead of pills, and he was able to last for almost a month before his next urine test revealed pretty high levels of morphine and codeine and got him in big trouble for parole violation. Shortly thereafter he was gone from the clinic and I don’t know what happened to him after that.

Later on, a couple friends helped me test this for my book. We bought a bunch of poppy seeds from a grocery store and prepared about … dangit, can’t find my notes … well, we prepared 10-12 batches of tea, took a sample of each, and had another friend who worked at a lab analyze it for us. The results were, as I said, highly variable, but they all contained the equivalent of between 5 and 13mkddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkklllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllds
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww of morphine per … darn it, I can’t remember if it was per liter or per gallon, which obviously makes a significant , which is easily enough to feel real effects.

Heh … okay, apparently my little nieces that we’re babysitting came into our room, sat down in my desk while holding one of our cats, and accidentally posted that while I was off looking for my notes (which I didn’t even find, yet). It supposed to say “between 5 and 13 milligrams of morphine per liter or gallon” there, without the garbage text added. And I meant to say that I wasn’t precisely sure of the upper number; it might have been slightly more. I know the lower number was 5mg, though.

I was also going to mention that, while disposing of the poppy seeds, I accidentally spilled a big clump of them – after they’d been sitting in close-to-boiling water for like 20 minutes, mind you! – onto the dirt back by the wall where our garbage cans went. A few months later there were a bazillion tiny plants sprouting up that looked like a cross between bean-sprouts and clovers. Those things are pretty darn hardy, especially when you consider that we live in a frickin’ desert and the soil is supposed to be of pretty poor quality.

And they were nice, too. They made a wonderfully soft cushion to walk on that felt like you were walking on a blanket. Much nicer than our grass was, that’s for sure. I wanted to try covering the whole dirt-only area with poppy seeds, but I was afraid it might get me in trouble. So instead I took the oppposite tactic and killed the existing poppy sprouts with some weed spray.

It’s best to get them started early on the SDMB. Then they’ll be hooked for life. Just remember: the first 30 days are free; after that they gotta pay.

Just so long as they don’t tell anyone that you think sex with sheep is fun

Sorry Hal…

Full Metal Lotus

Are you sure about that bit with the lettuce? I’ve been hearing this since the '60s but never knew anyone that claimed this was for real. I had long ago written this off as some kind of urban legend.

Regards

Testy

Oh, and look, they posted my original too, before somehow going back and REposting it with a bunch of garbage in it! I didn’t notice that.

I found my notes. There were actually between 5mg and 22mg of morphine per gallon of tea. But we used one pound of poppy seeds for each gallon, so it’s more like “per pound of seeds.”

Wild lettuce is narcotic, cultivated ones hardly at all. I realise this sounds like it contradicts what I said in post #17, but in this particular case, there was significant artificial selection pressure to weed out the narcotic traits - because the chemicals that make wild lettuce narcotic also make it unpleasantly bitter, so breeding less-bitter, sweeter varities was directly selecting against the narcotic traits.

Mangetout

Yes, IIRC, (from waaaay back) wild lettuce was supposed to be more potent but the stems of domesticated lettuce had much the same sort of chemicals, just in lower quantities. Nevertheless, I’ve never seen or heard of anyone taking practical advantage of this. If lettuce actually contains some kind of narcotic, why aren’t people extracting this stuff? Is it just in such small concentrations that you need a ton of lettuce?

Regards

Testy

I think it’s probably because opium was pretty much always a better alternative. IIRC, lettuce extract is incredibly unpleasant to ingest and has some kind of undesirable side effect such as vomiting.

Thanks for this. While I was waiting for you to respond, I looked up a few things. Even Cecil has done an article on this. He mentioned one study that discovered that lettuce contained a few parts per billion of morphine. Well, I don’t think we’ll be seeing pitiful lettuce addicts on street corners in the near future.

Regards and thanks

Testy