D&D – game 2 (Mediaeval English background)

Cullen, “The Rutland Water falcons are indeed from Skye.”

Turning to the other peasant,

“What can you tell me of the Rutland Water Beast, I am taken to wonder if it is perhaps a Water Horse or worse yet a mischievous Phouka?”

Yes? :confused:

Oh. Never mind.

The lad nods, staring at your coin.
Then he takes a deep breath and makes a decision.

“I like the way your mind works. Another saying I learnt is ‘All that glitters is not gold’. But I still like gold better than silver, if you know what I mean.” :smiley:

Then comes a sudden rush of words…

“My name is Jack Baker and I work mornings mucking out at the stables (he points out where they are), afternoons cleaning the Morris Dancers’ stuff (stored in the Temple of Heimdall) and evenings washing up at ‘The Old Plough’ (he points out where the pub is). I want to have a mount like yours and work for top people like your Knight and eat good food (not scraps) and be rich and never have to muck out or wash up again!”

He pauses, out of breath, and waits anxiously.

To the Gnome, “Ah good sir, you know something of our mischivious friends the Púka. Those clever critters that change their shapes from puny to prodigious and spell their names in dozens of ways and love to ride the shallow waves?”

The peasant replies “Now then, Sir, I’m glad you asked me that. My name’s Simon, from Upper Hambleton and I am an expert on the Rutland Water Beast. Oh, I can tell you it’s a sight no man was ever meant to see. I can tell you that men have had their hair turned white, just by seeing the Beast.
Now you mention ‘Water Horse’ and … what was it? ‘Fooka’? Why I’ve never heard of those two and I’ve lived here man and boy for forty years.
I’d like to tell you all I know about the Beast, but my throat’s getting a little dry…”

Another peasant promptly interrupts: “Shows what you know. Lady Marian herself told me they was Kestrels, not Falcons.” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to rule that Hans is in Oakham now, just by the temple of Heimdall. Cullen is just outside Oakham.
(Though if Hans were listening to Cullen, he would no doubt be making these sort of comments!)

Sorry. That’s what DMs get when they split the party. :smiley:

“Well, they are indeed Skye Kestrels. That is a good eye you have there.” I whistle over my friend the Kestrel, “They are of the same family as the falcons as you already know and quite bright and fast.”

“Perhaps we should wander into town to talk more of Lady Marion, Water Beast and share a few ales or meads.”

I head to the town.

Oops sorry. I am now endeavoring to meet up with other players.

“We’ll talk more of this, Jack Baker. But gold comes only to those who wait. Now. You’ve a ready ear and a good head on your shoulders, I see, and a lad who washes pots and cleans boots likely hears many a word that folks wouldn’t let fall before a man grown. See you keep a closed mouth, and open it into this ear of mine from time to time, and there’ll likely be another coin or two betimes. Also we might find out if that throwing arm of yours be as good with a sharper tool - only there’s no cause to go making a noise about that; gentry don’t always like it.”

Hans whistles, tunelessly but recognisably, a few bars that in another century and another reality might be something to do with having to pick a pocket or two. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Think you can remember all that?”

The peasant looks satisfied that he has made his point.

There is a general murmur of approval and you realise that four peasants are sticking to you like glue, discussing what they will have to drink.
Simon has appointed himself chief ‘peasant-who-talks-to-important-strangers’, and is telling the others how lucky they are to have met ‘Simon’s friend Cullen’, who is both kind, wise, friendly and generous.

No worries - you deliberately started separately from the others because of your interesting back story.

I’ll give Cadogan a chance to respond before I move you into Oakham.

Trust me, things are going to plan!! :wink: :smiley:

N.B. the players should read every post (even if their character is not actually present) because there are clues in there. :eek:

(Hans has a non-existent vision of a lightning bolt striking him out of a clear sky… :smiley: )

Seriously, I knew this intro was a gamble, but it was intended to quickly bring the whole group up to speed on the terrain, atmosphere and population of Rutland, as well as the myriad* of plot lines. I’m really enjoying it and I hope you all are too.
*well a handful, anyway!

Jack looks thoughtful, clearly trying to remember everything.
“I do overhear things, and you’re right - most folk think I’m just a stupid kid who mucks the stables. I will wait for a coin - there’ll be summat you want to hear. And I’m good with a sling, 'cos I hunt rabbits!”

He hums (recognisably) the same tune Hans used and looks proud. He whispers “That’s our sign, right?”

How are the fish biting?

(As Paladud and Little Plastic Ninja are busy with exams and stuff, I’ll move it along a bit)

Temple of Heimdall, Oakham

Gawain confirms with Aciryas that this is indeed the Temple of Heimdall, Oakham.
Gawain explains that he has come from Nottingham in response to Aciryas’ request for help, and would like to know what is happening.
Gawain adds that he has brought help in the form of (he hesitates briefly) his squire, Hans.

Copse of trees, just outside Oakham

Cadogan asks Cullen for advice. “Marian’s trail ends precisely at this tree. Her beloved Kestrel is sitting at ease in it. Do you have any idea what has happened to her?”

Yes, she has used her magic to step into the tree for a bit as a retreat. It is her own doing and no harm will come to her.

Cadogan thanks Cullen and says that since they are so close to Oakham, they can leave Marian to recover in peace (that crowd of peasants obviously unsettled her) and may as well go into the town.
Marian said something to us about trying to be elected to Sheriff of Rutland. I know Edith Weston (the High Priestess of the Temple of Heimdall in Oakham) and she can undoubtedly give us full details.

(The tree nods approval)

Off we go to the temple then, perhaps there will be some refreshment for our new friends on the way or nearby?

Simon is an expert on pubs in Rutland. :cool:
He tells you there are two pubs in Oakham and gives his professional opinion:

‘The Old Plough’ is popular with local tradesmen and us peasants. The place is kept tidy and there is music as well.
‘The Merry Monk’ is all right, but Sir Guy Gisbourne’s men hang out there, so most folk avoid it.

Simon says he and his fellow peasants will happily wait for you if you need to visit the Temple before buying them a drink.
It’s Market Day in Oakham and there’s loads to look at. Simon has saved up to buy a new pair of boots and is very excited about it. :slight_smile:
Also tomorrow is May Day and Simon is going to stay on to watch the fun in Oakham Marketplace. Luckily for you, he is an expert on the various entertainments, and ranks them as follows:

1. Oakham Morris Dancing troupe (best in the County!)
  2. Jousting event (I like the clash of lance on shield!)
  3. Falconry (those birds can really dive!)
  4. Singing (brings a tear to my eye!)
  5. Music (brings a tear to my eye!)
  6. Swordplay (I can’t watch in case there’s blood!)
  7. Archery (it’s hard to follow, but I cheer anyway)
  8. Entertainment (this varies from amazing to rubbish)

Simon thinks for a bit, then asks if you’re going to enter the Falconry.
Baron Thorgunby Wheldrake puts up a good prize or two for it - and he’s sure any sort of bird can enter (even foreign ones).

Simon thinks a bit more, then says to his mates all this talk is making him thirsty. They all nod approvingly.

That might be an excellent idea, I might just enter that Falconry contest. I do think my friend and I should visit the Temple first.

I might even join in the music and song competitions if I have time. I won’t win, but it sounds like fun.

In a whispered aside to Cadogan, “What prices are the ales here, I am far from rich, but will spend much of what I have to help the Lady get elected.”

Cadogan tells you that a gold piece buys 20 pints of Ale or 4 pints of Mead. Beer is cheaper than both, while wine is more expensive.
Behind you, you notice Marian emerging from the copse. She follows you but keeps her distance.