Damage to boats in CA following Japan quake

Yeah. We had some surfers out (San Diego county) wanting to catch some gnarley waves.

No one got hurt here, though. The surge was about a foot, and a lot of folks didn’t notice much of a difference.

Klamath River.

The Columbia River is in Oregon.

Did they find his camera? 'Cause I bet he got some amazing pictures!

(I’m only still here 'cause they haven’t found a handbasket big enough for me yet.)

The wave is only a foot or two high in deep water. It’s experienced by the fish and boats like a small rise in the ocean and subsequent fall. It’s not like getting hit by a 500 MPH, 2 foot high wall of water. You might not even notice it as a wave. Keep in mind that water isn’t moving at that speed, the wave front is moving.

Well he wasn’t killed in CA at the mouth of the Columbia, unless they moved the river when I wasn’t looking. I think you are referring to this news item:

http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_17605586

The Klamath. He’d just moved there from Bend, OR.

This bears repeating. It isn’t that the water off the coast of Japan came running all the way to California; it’s that the shock wave came running through the water all the way to California. It pushes the water up as it passes; when it gets to shallow water, the pushed-up water (there in Cali) runs up on the land.