Damn, how many middle age white guys do "edutainment" videos on YouTube?

Hart (who was born in 1988) stopped releasing regular videos seven years ago in order to concentrate on software development.

No disrespect intended but I was simply wondering what the point of the thread was, or if it was intended to be a little satirical (which of course is fine as I’m like that too)

Huh. I was today years old when I learned that. Also, it had somehow passed me by that he died 4 years ago. Thank you for educating me on this small point.

As to the OP, don’t know how we could have got 43 posts in with no mention of Atomic Shrimp, who fits the criteria to a T.

Underlining mine. The underlined assumption simply does not hold for the vast majority of American black folks.It may well hold in the UK or in Australia; I certainly don’t know. But not in the USA.

At least in the USA, it appears to me that the vast majority of native-US Blacks have a distinctive accent that is different from the white regional accent from the same geographic area. Said another way, there’s a distinctive “black accent” on top of whatever regional accent there may be.

Certainly there are exceptions. Such as folks of whatever ethnicity who’ve trained themselves to reduce their ethnic and regional accents towards “US newscaster standard”. Other exceptions of whatever ethnicity are non-US natives. Here in Miami there are more black people recently emigrated from Jamaica, Trinidad, Haiti, etc., than there are 2nd- or 3rd-generation USA-born black people. Those folks have distinctive accents that are very different from “generic USA black.” Once you learn to recognize them, some of those accents are also highly reliable markers for blackness. Others are less so.

Very, very few white Americans speak with one of the distinctly black accents. So that upon hearing the black accent you can conclude with near certainty that the speaker is black. Conversely, there are many blacks, especially in the media whose black accent was/is mild to begin with or has been trained down to a much lower level or even complete absence. So hearing the absence of a black accent doesn’t prove whiteness with the same reliability.

Whether these facts are good or bad or desirable or undesirable is another conversation. But I assert these are facts.

It isn’t an assumption of mine but it may be a misunderstanding by me.

What I mean is that I’ve come across and worked with many people of various ethnicities who have accents and speech patterns indistinguishable from each other and from me and the other white people round them.

e.g. two people, both with strong Scottish accents, one black, one white. If I didn’t know them and only heard their voices I couldn’t tell which was white and which was black, I’m not aware that there is anything inherent in their genetic make-up that alter their voices in such a way that would allow me to do that.

If the original claim was all about accents and word usage and speech patterns etc. that are prevelant in black USA citizens and can be picked up by people then fine, I can’t comment on that and I’m happy to accept it on trust, but that was not the claim I thought I was challenging.

And likewise I’m not challenging your claim as stated here. I agree there’s no genetic basis for a voice difference; it’s all cultural/regional.

Yet another sad legacy of the US’ racially charged and racially segregated history is the development of separate-and-therefore-unequal accents. If your part of the world has avoided this scourge, bravo for you all.

The “point”, if any, is that I am legitimately noticing a plethora of white guys featured on edutainment videos. And I’m curious to know why. There has been a lot of speculation on here on why that is, some of it appears very valid, and I’m not seeing very many arguments that that is NOT the case. Just outliers.

The “systemic racism” bit I guess you could classify as satire, as it was tongue in cheek, but I do legitimately find the disproportion it a little bothersome. Also, if one is bothered by “middle aged” comments, yeah that was a bit much I suppose. I’m mostly saying “well established”, guys who could have teenage kids, etc. Not some fresh faced kid out of college (though I’m aware that many of these people have been on YouTube for quite some time).

Apparently I don’t pay much attention to dates on youtube videos. I suppose I hadn’t seen anything new from her for a while… Still, what she has is generally good.

Then again, I also didn’t realize that King of Random had died.

These sort of assertions always surprise me. According to https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045219, 76% of the US population is white. Assuming 50/50 female/male distribution that would make white males about 38% of the total US population.

So yes a very large population segment with time and disposable income and interests/hobbies can make a lot of videos on those interests and hobbies.

But I think it’s partly perception. YouTube latches onto what you’ve searched for and keeps showing you more of that, relentlessly. If you really want you can start searching for makeup or scrapbooking you will fall down a rabbit-hole of those, and YouTube will keep recommending them if you watch them.

There is an almost incomprehensible amount of content on YouTube, you can only view a small amount in your lifetime. What you see depends on what YouTube suggests and what key words you search for. I have seen other people’s YouTube accounts and they are wildly different than mine.

Can’t comment on the ‘white’ part, but middle age seems quite obvious for edutainment. Young people usually do not have sufficient knowledge/experience to share, so you won’t find as many, at least not for the subjects you are interested in. There are lots of young youtubers doing videos about make-up, magic tricks, other kinds of tricks and experiments (e.g. Dude Perfect, Zach King to name just two). But you’d probably not call those edutainment, rather entertainment.

Young people with expert knowledge are probably working on their career in their field, so don’t have time for the ‘tainment’ part of educational videos. You can find young university professors sharing their knowledge but those videos usually do not spend masses of time on entertainment. Its only if your career is not going to progress any further that you can spend time on making entertaining videos on expertise that you already have. So its really a middle-age hobby.

Edutainment is the name of a rather excellent album by Boogie Down Productions. But it goes back to Walt Disney who used it to describe the True Life Adventures series in 1954.