Damn you, University! (sculpture rant)

It looks like it should be in Downtown Disney. Maybe not so much if the sunflower thingy was removed.

It’s dull, ugly, and has a lot of obvious supports which completely kill the effect she was going for. And that stupid sun looks like cheap Ikea crap, which is not exactly the effect we want as a centerpiece to campus.

Are people on the Dope honestly so tacky they don’t see this?

The main crime of the sculpture is that it is demanding to be seen, it’s slap bang in the middle of a walkway and forces folk to walk around it, and obscures their vision of their next way point.

Damn thing is on its plinth, surrounded by a little bit of greenery which seems solely for the purpose of isolating itself from passers by, ‘LOOK AT ME’ is what it says - but it has nothing to say - its arrogant twaddle, it’s as if the artist it trying to force you to look at it, when its just an obstruction.If you imagine it without the outrigger part, then its just a pileof badly shaped metal, and it would be less offensive, but the outrigger bit is just reaching out to take up more space and demand that you must walk around further - bit like the trouble maker in the bar with his leg stuck out.

I wonder how many people would go out of their way to see it if it were placed somehwere more convenient, like in a deep basement cellar, or even an art gallery.

Its pretty crap when enlarge in a browser window, but be insufferable in the real.

Plant some bamboo in the ring. Problem solved real quick at the rate it grows.

You know, I think I could handle either the sunny part or the windy part, but together they really clash.

I thought UT was the University of Texas, a bastion of bad outdoor art. You don’t know bad outdoor art till you’ve been to the campus of UT Austin.

It’s tacky yard art. Just cries out for a couple of giant flamingoes beside it. And maybe a pinwheel somewhere in the vicinity.

It could be worse. It could be an actual pile of shit.

As I understand it, he eventually got over the indignity and decided that it was an affectionate nickname. Which I think is pretty accurate.

Also, it looks like a fucking bean, for heaven’s sake.

Infra-red Quetzy n’ Toilets

Aesthetic Crime Scene

You can practically feel the love:

Eh. Nowhere near as bad as the Yellow Peril

(I will admit that doesn’t help you when you have to walk past if every day though)

Well,

This thing absolutely looks sophisticated compared to what was outside one of the main libraries at the Univ of Florida.

Basically, giant metallic yellow french fries that were not in a box.

IMO, it looks a bit silly. And a bit disjointed, as if the sculptor had 2 projects in mind and then just mashed them together. The yellow “sunflower” is by far the worst bit of it.
Give me a dead president or general on horseback any day.

That was my thought, too.

The square base on the ground to the left could contain an air pump, that would raise the marbles through the wiggly vertical piece, then release them onto the curved overhead piece, then down a track on the white spiral.

If the track would work for coins, or if inserting a coin activated a marble in the track, you could collect enough money in a few years to replace this trash with a nice statue of a dead general on a horse.

Barf.

No, then it would be known as the campus with TWO giant dicks.

I like it. Googling the name shows a few other POVs and I like them all, dipshit. :slight_smile:

Wow, what a lameass rant. “I don’t like that art, hur hur”. Get the fuck over it already. It’s a sculpture. It doesn’t come alive and assrape you in the middle of the night, and I doubt it’s any more unpleasant to look at than you are, but you don’t see me posting long diatribes about Uglo-Americans intruding upon my visual field.

Why don’t you go listen to some They Might Be Giants, you blithering philistine.

It certainly assraped someone’s pocketbook. And it certainly wasnt the artist’s. Thats the real crime here.

Oh, no! The Boss of the Pit has disapproved this rant!

Looking at it, I think bamboo growing in amongst the metal would actually look really good. As for the sculpture as is, I don’t like it. Who said it looked like Ikea crap? That pretty much nails it for me.