"Damned with(out) faint praise" movies: films that failed basic filmmaking.

Not necessarily bad, but constant last minute script rewrites certainly deserves mention. It has worked (Beat the Devil and, if the legend is true, Casablanca), but more often, it led to massive failure (Super Mario Brothers, Wild Wild West)

For animals harmed during production, there is the infamous lemming suicide by Disney, but I’m not sure any lemmings actually died: Did Disney Fake Lemming Suicide for the Nature Documentary 'White Wilderness'? | Snopes.com

After Bruce Lee died during production of “Game of Death”, stand-ins were used in his place to fill in during missing scenes. In one case, when a stand-in is looking in a mirror, what is obviously a photo of Lee is pasted onto the mirror.

In The Beginning of the End, you have amusing special effects such as grasshoppers on a postcard who aren’t even completely standing on the “building” much less paying any nevermind to perspective or depth perception.

But, while finding that photo, I also learned that the film started with a couple hundred grasshoppers for special effects and ended with a few dozen. Apparently grasshoppers can turn cannibalistic during times of stress and I guess being a grasshopper in show business is very stressful.

Cinematography

• CGI film that lost all of their assets shortly before completion in 2003 and were afterwards forced to redo everything entirely on the cheap since they had already spent their budget. Progress was slow and they constantly missed deadlines until the group that initially funded the film decided to seize the film after they defaulted on a loan and just released the product as-is on the unsuspecting world in 2012 nine years after the original intended release, horrible animation and all (Foodfight!)

I think it was one of the Highlander(“There Should Have Been Only ONE!”) movies where they fly into New York and there’s a sign in the airport that says “Welcome to Montreal

Word War Z :mad:.

I’m actually surprised how many major films released in the 70’s and 80’s have noticeable problems with both sound editing and out-of-focus shots left in.

“The Deer Hunter” has a lot of scenes with muffled audio and inaudible people, and “The Spy Who Loved Me” has a bunch of scenes with blurry or out-of-focus filming.

Actually, I take exception to a lot of the OP – problems pop up frequently during the making of films. That the films get made at all is frequently amazing. That filmmakers carry on in the teeth of imp;ending disaster isn’t a “fail” or a "fault’ – it’s professionalism.
One of my all time favorite films is Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: a Space Odyssey, and it has one of you “failsd” in it:

The “dead zebra” in the Dawn of Man sequence is actually a painted dead horse:

In the film Apocalypse Now, they pretty deliberately killed that water buffalo at the end

IIRC, in Die Hard 2 Bruce Willis is on a pay phone in Dulles airport in Washington DC. The phone clearly says “Pacific Bell” on the side.

Raging Bull should have been called Raging Volume Inconsistency.

And even before that. The Longest Day was a major, big budget WWII epic, loaded with major stars. In the first ten minutes, this happens.

Rommel’s ability to turn invisible is not further explored in the film.

I think that’s a very rude way to refer to Tanya Roberts.

Best thing I’ve read all week :slight_smile:

I’m not certain that money was the issue, but Wim Wenders’ Faraway, So Close! is missing so many transitional scenes that the ending makes no sense whatsoever. The official story seems to be that Wenders made some cuts to get the film down to a commercial runtime, but that doesn’t ring true to me - there would be a director’s cut by now filling in the gaps if the missing scenes were extant. It’s not a bad film - there are so many scenes with real merit - but the missing scenes put this one neck-deep in “huh?” territory.

Years ago, I read a hilarious interview with Jeff Morrow of “The Giant Claw.” He appeared in a lot of cheesy movies, and readily admitted it. But " The Giant Claw" was horrible even by his standards!

He talked about a scene where he was supposed to be seeing the giant alien bird for the first time. There was no bird prop yet, so Morrow didnt actually see anything. The director told him to act terrified, as if he were seeing the scariest thing imaginable! Morrow was assured the special effects were going to be amazing.

When Morrow eventually saw, basically, a Muppet bird eating a Thomas the Tank Engine set, he sank in his seat and prayed for death.

I looked at it several times… I don’t see anything odd. What did I miss?

At 0:39, Rommel disappears while talking. I suppose it could look like just a cut from one camera shot to another; it’s just the actor in front of an ocean backdrop, but since the horizon line doesn’t change it looks like he just vanishes. And the same thing a few seconds later when he reappears. The backdrop doesn’t change enough (if at all) to convey a change of POV.