Dandelions: Weeds or Flowers?

What green been said.

What is the deal with dandelions? Do they make it more difficult for other plants to grow? (I mean other than taking up the space that might otherwise be used by wanted plants.)

They are not a problem in my yard, so I’ve never studied up on them.

I think many of the plants we think of as “weeds” have a short, but lively, growing season during which they prevent other plants from becoming established. Then they die, leaving blank spots so the top soil can be blown or wash away , depending on the amount of rain. Isn’t that the deal?

I’m not sure about dandys, but where I live there is a small war going on against weeds that are not native to the area. Whatever that means.

Some weeds can take over and push out native species. As far as I’m concerend, I’m happy with anything that will grow in my ‘yard’ (I live a 11,200’).

I love dandelions. To me they are flowers. I think pesticides should be used only when absolutely necessary. We are going to find a bunch of illenesses in the future from their use.

However, I did spray a wasp with Lysol this week.:)

I want some dandelion coffee and tea now. Sounds tasty.

I’ve been attempting to convince CG that we need the dandelions…I don’t use them for anything, per se, but I do really love the bright little yellow flowers waving at me in the breeze when I come home in the afternoons.:smiley:
I think the next time one or two crops up in the yard, I’m going to take whoever said it’s suggestion and uproot them and plant them in a nice fat barrell. That way the yard can remain dandelion free (to suit CG and all our dandelion hating neighbors) and I can have my pretty little yeller flowers. :slight_smile:
IDBB

How do you make the coffee? I want to try making it. Is it acidic?

Check Mangtout’s post above.