Dark Knight Cinematographer: The Avengers' Camera work was Appalling

Of course it didn’t.

It had some strange camera angles. It felt like a lot of the cameras were too low and looking up, like it was from the view of a short person. It didn’t take away from my enjoyment, but I notice it a few times.

Shut up and get back in your gimp box, Abrams!

I have to say, The Avengers did a very good job of making interminable fight scenes understandable and rooted in location, although that may be more editing than cinematography. Can’t say he’s wrong about “we spent a lot of money on this and we want to make sure you see it”, though.

I have to ask - has the guy ever read a modern comic book? Because unusual POV angles are totally part of that medium.

I didn’t think, “Huh, that’s an odd bit of cinematography” during either film. Ergo, both films were satisfactory.

To be fair, The Dark Knight Rises had a fight scene outdoors in broad daylight.

I remember because my head almost exploded from a “Does Not Compute” logic loop that old sci-fi robots used to get caught in… Batman in the day time…

Does Not Compute.

If “Vote with your pocketbook” is to have any validity, the billion dollars The Avengers made in two weeks says this guy is dead wrong.

I don’t know if Pfister was the cinematographer on Batman Begins, but I remember being annoyed as hell about the fight-staging/choreopraphy in the climactic scenes. A guy in black fighting other guys in black in the dark with tight close-ups? WTF? I just love paying top dollar to sit in a theatre and not know what the hell’s going on!

Pfister is jealous that Marvel Films knocked the Dark Knight on his ass. End of story.

The “charge!” scene where all the citizens rushed all the badguys was miserable in The Dark Knight Rises. That particular scene wasn’t even up to the standards of a typical syfy channel movie. Specifically, it was the cinematography that was terrible in that scene, which makes me think what’s-his-name ought to check the plank in his own eye first.

If he wants to get into technical battles, he should have a talk with the sound editor on his film. It wasn’t as horrible as The Dark Knight but still noticeably bad. That takes me out of a film almost as quickly as poor camera work. The Avengers for its part had pretty decent sound, as I recall.