Dealing with e-mail abuse from the US Navy

Call the local command. They can point you in the proper direction and give you the best email to send your complaint to.

https://www.cnauk.navy.mil/Command%20Information/Command%20Contact%20Information.htm

Or the local Legal Services Office. Explain the situation and they’ll point you in the right direction.
Naval Legal Service Office, EURSWA BROFF London
PSC 802 Box 126
FPO AE 09499

UK Phone Number: 0207 514 4499 (voice)

[QUOTE=Q.E.D.]
All of those can be spoofed. Every bit of them.
[/QUOTE]
Of course. But this isn’t spam we’re talking about; we’re talking about what appears to be a single individual flying off the handle at something posted on a personal website. I’m happy to admit that it may be a joe job, though Occam’s razor implies it’s just a luser who happens to work for the Navy and thinks it’s OK to send abuse with their computers. If I report this matter to the appropriate Navy sysadmin, it will be trivial for her to confirm whether or not the abuse is coming from their servers. If they determine it’s not, then it will be appropriate to start looking elsewhere. But at this point there’s no reason to assume that the individual has the inclination or expertise to spoof his headers.

Ordinarily I just ignore stuff like this—I occasionally get messages like this which I assume are from immature teenagers or neanderthals—but seeing as these messages appear to come from the US Navy I was a bit concerned. I don’t like the idea of immature teenagers or neanderthals having control of DoD resources and figure that the DoD doesn’t either.

[QUOTE=psychonaut]
If I report this matter to the appropriate Navy sysadmin, it will be trivial for her to confirm whether or not the abuse is coming from their servers. If they determine it’s not, then it will be appropriate to start looking elsewhere.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree. I certainly wasn’t trying to talk you out of reporting it. I was just sayin’.

[QUOTE=butler1850]
His location - 51.464131° N 0.132577° W Puts him just south of London. From Google Earth, it looks like Clapham, but I’m not sure where the lines are, as I’m utterly unfamiliar with the layout of towns/cities/hamlets in Great Britain.

But, email is global.
[/QUOTE]

Can’t dudes dial toll free from England? :confused:

And yeah, I read that, but I wanted more details, like what the Op said in his website.

Just some tongue-in-cheek humor, and nothing objectionable. In fact, if it’s the piece I think it is, it’s just some stats-geek humor on why he’ll never get a date. Either that, or it’s a bit detailing some moderately ‘Dilbert’ behavior on the part of an acquaintance.

Either way, it’s nothing any reasonable person would find objectionable at all.

[QUOTE=DrDeth]
Can’t dudes dial toll free from England? :confused:
[/quote]
Yes, but only within the UK.

His messages claimed to be in response to Why I Will Never Have A Girlfriend, a mathematical humour piece which was published in The Annals of Improbable Research.

Whoah!

You’re published in AIR? Wow - that’s a real claim to dubious fame!
:smiley:

[QUOTE=psychonaut]
Yes, but only within the UK.His messages claimed to be in response to Why I Will Never Have A Girlfriend, a mathematical humour piece which was published in The Annals of Improbable Research.
[/QUOTE]

Great article, thanks! :cool: I have never been published anywhere cool like that. :frowning:

I hope this isn’t the guy that’s been harrassing you.

Man Burns Down Trailer in Online Feud

[QUOTE=HelloNinja]
I hope this isn’t the guy that’s been harrassing you.

Man Burns Down Trailer in Online Feud
[/QUOTE]

That selfsame thought crossed my mind.

What on earth did he find so objectionable about that piece?

[QUOTE=Duke of Rat]
What on earth did he find so objectionable about that piece?
[/QUOTE]

I know, right? Maybe he’s Bhutanese (Bhutannic? Bhutanish?) and “babe” is an insult? Perhaps he took issue with the mathmatics? Perhaps he’s just insane.

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with that piece.