Dealing with small-town construction permits

I was very excited when I read this, but as it happens, my town is not on ecode360. :slightly_frowning_face:

I’ll revisit the town website, call the inspection office and ask if the codes are online somewhere, and talk to my friend in Town Hall. Then I may be better prepared to call/visit the inspection official.

I suggest also asking for a copy of the application forms.

I don’t know what, if anything, is or has been going on in Cicero; but it wouldn’t necessarily apply in the country in general, or specifically where commasense is living. And trying to bribe people in a town where that’s not OK can get you in a whole shitload of trouble.

I’m just joking.

It is not exactly unheard of that on at least rare occasions throughout Chicagoland’s history, a politician’s hand may have been greased.

Cicero is one area I’m somewhat familiar with - from an especially unethical family member involved in real estate in that area. Betty Loren Maltese was quite a piece of work. The town of Cicero has quite a colorful history - going back to Big Al 100 years ago.

Dang, sorry about that!

Oh yeah, probably happens other places too from time to time.

It’s just @Senegoid’s apparent assumption that it’s nearly ubiquitous that I’m objecting to. And I don’t think they were joking.

Okay. @thorny_locust isn’t wrong – I have generally assumed that small-town small-time corruption is common, and I wasn’t joking. Perhaps I’ve just grown too cynical in my old age, especially after all these Trumpish years. But that Honolulu story I told really happened, and I heard from various people and news stories that corruption was pretty rampant in various local governments there. It seemed to be common knowledge. It seemed so taken for granted that I’ve long assumed it was pretty much the norm. The OP’s story about the inspector’s jerkish attitude didn’t improve my mood on the subject.