Dear Impatient Laundry Room Jackass

Jebus, some of you people are nutcases. They moved your clothes five feet so you took their clothes and basically ruined them?

Look, if you’re so weirded out by people touching your clothing, maybe you should invest in a private washer/dryer of the sort that SteveK mentioned. Personally, I think there’s probably therapy indicated if you’re that jinky about it, but I’m no psychiatrist.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m the weird one who doesn’t care if people touch my clothes. Maybe those of us who can handle people clearing dryers which aren’t currently being used are a minority.

I see no difference whatsoever between someone stealing clothes and someone taking clothes out of a dryer and dumping them in the mud and rain. You’re in the wrong, regardless of how violated you may have felt because someone cleared what was previously your machine.

I’m flabbergasted at that…

jayjay

Note: on preview, this is a rant about elmwood’s post, not revtim’s. Taking clothes out of a running dryer is a totally different animal.

Actually, I just found out some good info…the washer and dryer combo has to be rolled up to the sink and hooked up to the faucet to use! Which means I can store it in my closet and roll it out when I need it. I’m keeping it!

::sobbing with relief that I finally bought a dryer last month::

This thread is reminding me of a video clip I saw on one of those “World’s Biggest Assholes” shows. A woman pulls wet sopping clothes out of a washer, throws them on the floor, and puts hers in–peeking around the whole time to make sure she’s unobserved. Judging by the drippage on these clothes I’m sure she did this mid-cycle. Jump-cut to about ten minutes later and a guy walks up, sees his clothes on the floor and flips out. He starts shouting and kicking the machine. After a minute or so of this, he opens the washer, pours in an entire gallon of bleach, and gathers up his clothes before leaving. One last jump cut to the woman returning for her clothes. She starts to empty the machine and it takes her a second to register the damage before she starts sobbing uncontrollably.

How do people think they’re going to get away with this shit?
Newsflash–your clothes are now occupying the machine the ‘victim’ will be returning to. It will not take a genius to figure out that, eventually, you will also be coming back.
Do you really want to piss off the wrong person someday and lose your entire wardrobe or even get your ass kicked because you HAD to have your clothes done ten minutes sooner? Sheesh.

This only applies to clothes mid-cycle, of course. Other than that, I’m firmly in the ‘once it buzzes, it’s my turn’ camp.

bella

Damn, elmwood. That makes you a real fucking prick. Grow up. Throwing someone’s clothes in the mud like that is one of the most childish and petty things I’ve heard in a while.

Nutcase indeed.

DaLovin’ Dj

You realize, of course, that this will rack the hell out of your carpet/linoleum/wood floor, and the apartment/condo will force you to pay for the damages.

[nerdiness]Am I to believe your words, Sauron the Deceiver, traitor of Aule, lieutenant of Melkor, Gothmog the Master!!![/nerdiness]

Heh, okay. Enough of that. That’s true too…I’ll have to test it out, gauge it, play with it a bit, see what’s up.

You forgot “Seller of Fine Floor Coverings.” Come see me. I can get you a good deal. And such quality! My own mother would gasp at the value.

Here is my solution to the OP, this is in my apartment building, I don’t know about laundormats. I go down when I my washing is done and if the dryer is finished, yet still occupied, I go back to my aprtment and return 15 minutes later. If the laundry is still there I thoughtfuly remove it to the basket they hopefullyhave left, or I place on a clean surface. That gives them some time, I am inconvenienced at most 15 minutes. I never have a problem with someone removing my clothes if I am deliquent in removing them.

The world must’ve changed in the past dozen or so years.

I washed and dried my clothes in shared machines in dorms, apartment complexes, and laundromats from age 18 to about 35-36, I guess.

Never had problems like this. Thank the Lord.

pld, good luck with the house negotiations! Holler if you need help on moving day. :slight_smile:

Hey, I can’t defend my actions. I was having a miserable day, and then … this perceived slight happened. I took it personally, for some reason. There were empty dryers available. There were dryers available that have been stopped for hours. No … that person had to have the dryer I was using. (It was located next to a washer, so apparently it was more “convenient” to the peson who was using that washer.) Instead of treating my clothes with a bit of respect, they were tossed on the dryer – with some landing behind the dryer, and some landing in the gap between the dryer and the adjacent washer.

Immature? Yup. I was mad, and I acted out. It was five years ago, and I know I’ve changed a lot since then. Still, a lesson to those who are laundry room militants in some wahy – you never know what’s going to set someone off. Laundry room rage, road rage … just be nice.

Here’s an additional wrinkle to the Laundry Room dilemma. What happens if you find clothes in the ‘washer that you need to use’ – and a wallet (that had clearly gone through the wash cycle along with the rest of the clothes) sitting on top of those clothes? Leaving the clothes might run the risk of some dishonest person coming along and swiping the wallet …

(And yes, this did happen to me. I put the clothes on the sorting table [no basket had been left] and took the wallet to the office.)

Farren, actually happened! No drivers license but some cash and 2 credit cards.

I called the credit card company, explained the situation and, while they refused to give me the name/phone number they took my number and the person did call me within the day.

Also found a signed payroll check too. If only I had less scruples! It was from a Hooters waitress none the less! Called the store and talked to a manager on that one. I didn’t even get a thanks of a Hooter flash on that one. Sheesh.

Thats ‘or’ not ‘of’ in the last line. That’ll teach me to try to joke.

No justice.

She was rude to you, yes. She mouthed off. She is a heinous, slow-moving, nasty-mouthed bitch. Nevertheless, that doesn’t justify you grabbing her personal belongings and doing anything with them. You have no right to demand that she move, whether she was being rude or not, and no right to use her clothing to force her to do so. You were in the wrong, and had it been me, and had you caught me in the mood to tangle, you would’ve been kissing linoleum when I bodyslammed you as you made the attempt to grab my stuff.

Then we could talk about rude.

Yeah, apartment living sucks in that you have to share resources with other people like laundry, parking etc. It’s shocking how many adults cannot share common resources in a mature fashion.

When I look at the suburbs, it always strikes me how inefficient it is for every family of 4 to have its own free-standing building that must be separately heated, cooled, supplied with hot water, parking, and laundry facilities etc. But that’s really the only defense against the schlemiels that make it so miserable to share common resources (as well as against landlords who abuse their tenants, but that’s another rant).

Not sure I understand this point. The lady was in a public place, using public resources, but doing so in a very selfish manner. I would think that another person would have every right to demand that she move. It’s not like she couldn’t fold her clothes elsewhere.

To draw upon an analogy: There’s a walking/jogging trail in my subdivision. If a person (or a group of people) are intentionally blocking the trail, preventing others from passing them, I have every right to demand that they move. They’re making it impossible for others to use a resource that should be available to all.

Careful tlw.

Some people respond to rudeness with rudeness and some will respond to physical violence in kind.

If you bodyslam someone, they could get back up at put you in a real hurtbag. Be careful.

and put, not at put. I really can’t type.

what’s a hurtbag?

are they made by glad?

:wink: