Dear StG: You owe use $8000. Kthxbye, Love IRS

You should pickup a few prepaid debit cards from CVS, just in case.

I have received notices twice from the IRS saying I owed them money (when I didn’t think I did). Both times were resolved very easily.

One time, I neglected to file my return on time (and I owed money). (Due to an injury while out of the country in April. I returned with heath issues and a lot of pain meds and spaced out the whole thing for at least two weeks.). When I called to explain, they said I had a good history and if I paid what I owed they would waive all penalties.

We had the same thing happen this year. Same situation: paper check (which I was told was the only way) made out to the new plan administrator, mailed to me. My reply to the IRS notice:

1. It was correctly entered on our 1040 as a rollover,
  2. It was coded as a direct rollover on the 1099-R (which their own notice confirmed), and
  3. It was a fuckin’ ROLLOVER, as shown in the attached plan statement showing the deposit of however much on such-and-such date.

Their reply, which I assumed would be “oh, right! Nevermind!” instead said they’d investigate and get back to me in six weeks. Hey, no rush!