Death penalty = human sacrifice?

I’m not sure if I agree, yet, but I’m considering it.

Sure, you can always start movement to change the definition of something. We could just start saying that anything involving the death of a human is a sacrifice.

The God of Justice demands tribute!

I am not aware of any definition of “human sacrifice” that requires a religious motivation. If you have such a definition from a reputable source, my ignorance is at your disposal.

No. I think it is the extreme punishment meted out for the most extreme fuckups.

“Sacrifice” in this context generally means an appeal to the gods. I suppose one could sacrifice something (not necessarily a human) with the hopes that some non-divine authority may hear them and respond, but I’m at a loss to come up with a credible example.

In any case, the motivation behind the death penalty (whether you agree or not) has nothing to do with sacrifice, since the state isn’t asking anything in return. It’s more like saying: “See ya!”

So, that’s a no. Fine.

Human sacrifice is the act of killing one or more human beings, usually as an offering to a deity, as part of a religious ritual. - Wikipedia.

human sacrifice, the offering of the life of a human being to a deity. Encyclopedia Britannica

Offering of the life of a human being to a god. - The Free Dictionary

Now, if you take human out, you get sacrificial definitions that don’t involve religion, but since my quick Google of “Human Sacrifice” + Definition yielded three sources saying religion, may I request a cite of “Human Sacrifice” that doesn’t involve religion?