Debate: You can't say anything "of substance" on this board

Yeah, that one made me scoff audibly.

Also, I think E is overestimating the quality of humor in the “gentle ribbing” you’ve demonstrated in the last few days.

No matter what, clearly Aeschines does not like being referred to as E, maybe you could be polite and refrain from such when referring to other posters.

It is odd behavior to persist in using pronouns for others that no one else uses. Continuing here in this case seems jerkish.

Oh.

I guess Coyote McLoki Anansipoulos over here doesn’t see the rhetorical value in some dry wit and gentle ribbing.

Noted.

A woman i once met told me she was good at juggling before demonstrating. She said, “i used to profess modesty, but then i realized that people tend to take you at your word. So i would say something modest, and then do a really hard trick juggling. But my audience didn’t know how hard it was, so they went away thinking i was mediocre, instead of thinking i was shy or modest. So now i tell people I’m really good at juggling.”

She had a point. Maybe it’s a point more important to share with other women, as women are socialized to be overly modest. But it stuck with me.

She was talking about skills, not character traits. But there’s probably some truth for that, too.

I wonder if there is a gender gap, there. As a male, I tend to find modesty actually leads to an overstated impression of my talents. Or perhaps I just don’t self-assess well. I do think I’m good at what I do, but not as good as others think I am at what I do.

Friends, thank you for the participation and the education. It was a revisit to a side of the Dope I don’t like and have avoided, and I’ve been reminded why. I will not make the claim that I have been particularly clever or funny in the process. If I have said something genuinely hurtful to someone, I apologize.

Well, this is the first Pit thread I have followed in a long time, and I think the subject matter is of substance and has been handled in a very civil matter given that the Pit allows open insults.

At least Lynn tried to keep a tight lid on the trolling down here.

SkipMagic.

Yeah. Women have the double-misfortunate that when they are humble, they are treated low, and if they prop up themselves, they run the risk of being accused of being uppity. Sure, men may be accused of arrogance if they talk up themselves, but they are somewhat likelier to be seen as “simply honestly stating their skills/merits.”

When Kobe Bryant stated that he was the best player in the NBA (2010-ish?), most people just took it as a calm statement of fact, IIRC.

‘When E gets no traction…’

Can someone translate, what does this mean?
Who’s E?

The Eels lead singer.

Classic rejoinders to be treasured. Or not. :slight_smile:

Just in case you missed it upthread (and assuming we aren’t talking about Mark Oliver Everett!)

Seriously? Has invented his own pronoun? And expects, when he uses it, that people are just supposed to ‘get it’? Like, didn’t bother to define it for readers?

I thank you very much for clearing that up for me, I appreciate it so much.

Yes and I called E for it and now E is pm’ing me.

Really annoying shit in fact.

No, you act like an aggressive jerk and try to rationalize it by giving it a cute nickname. You say the board is ruined by assholes and yet you insist on being one.

It’s been being used by that poster for a coupla-two-tree years now, I want to say (or it feels like it). I remember it being defined way back when. I just write it off as a harmless (though distracting) quirk, but, I admit, there’s a bit of a “stop tryin’ to make fetch happen” vibe to it.

I just ignore it.

Let us remove the phrase to a rock mine and yeet it in there!

No, i think that’s the first gender-neutral singular pronouns on record to be used in English writing, not counting the limited use of “they”. “They” had a long history of being used for an unknown party, but had only recently been widely used to refer to a single known person. “E” was invented about a hundred years ago to fix that.

If you use them in speech, rather than in writing, people pretty much always immediately “get” them.