Debate: You can't say anything "of substance" on this board

No argument there. But there are some rules even in the pit, and I would argue that the culture of the rest of the board has a lot of influence there as well. Most of the time, the people who get jumped on in the pit are those who double down on the stupid or repulsive arguments that got them there in the first place. It’s highly predictable that way. If you are unwilling to stand corrected, the Dope can be a very unpleasant place.

I think E is the nominative, like he or she. Em is the objective, like him or her. And, there’s one that’s possessive.

I have a hard time following that poster’s posts sometimes. I wish E would give up on that quixotic quest and just go with “they”, “them”, “their”.

I’m utterly shocked that your kids in South Africa use different slang than some American kids. Here’s my shocked face: :astonished:

It was implicit in you suggesting that the status quo is the natural order.

Convenient that the major underpinning of my argument represents a tangent for you…

Oh, I forgot we won over patriarchy… silly me, I must have imagined the overturn of Roe v. Wade. The forces of patriarchy still control women’s actual bodies, and you’re dumb enough to think language is out of their reach? One of us is “beyond ludicrous”, but it’s the one currently residing in Cloud Cuckoo Land

You were better off just dropping out of this discussion, like you said you were doing a while ago, remember?

There’s no such thing. That a group is open and active in changing, in no way renders it any more sinister or less “natural” than some underground or “spontaneous” changes - like those aren’t as driven by politics and social forces.

Unless the agents calling for language changes are robots, it’s “beyond ludicrous” to privilege one kind of language change over any other as somehow more legitimate or more authentic.

It’s linguistic hipsterism, and it’s stupid.

“Hamstrung” conveys the idea quite well - better than “crippled”, because hamstringing is deliberate, like the software/hardware practice. “Crippled” can be deliberate, congenital or accident.

And yet there are people with disabilities who do object to that usage.

But fuck their “absurd” feelings, amirite?

Aah, language Luddites. Well, I don’t give a fig for that, since the distinction being drawn is bullshit that favours entrenched power systems. Fuck that noise.

Bru”, though, is perfectly valid SA slang - for a dude. Its usage tracks very closely with bro, bra, brah or bruh. Except, apparently, with some young American girls.

Can you just explain the thought process that goes into making a post like this? I mean, do you honestly think there’s a fucking list out there, and that you have to be liberal enough to be on the mailing list, and if you’re not you just get shat on until you can figure it out by trial and error?

Or maybe, just maybe, you could do a little introspection and realize that if you need a list to explain to you how not to be an asshole, the problem is with you, not with society?

This post probably comes across harsher than you really deserve. But this is such a common comment in this sorts of threads, and I’ve never fucking understood the mindset.

And to actually address YOUR sentiment in a meaningful way, @Whack-a-Mole, this is the healthy, adult way to look at things:

Or they could just read the thread they’re performing their performative preemptive bad language martyrdom play in, where the word in question has already been explained.

But then we wouldn’t all know how pants-shittingly terrible they find the prospect of accidentally saying the wrong thing, would we?

This comes across as entirely too petulant. Was that your intention? Did you feel petulant when writing this?

Sure.

I got crucified for using a word a few weeks ago. My use of the word was proper and in line with its definition but it carried some baggage I was unaware of. Many suggested it was near impossible I could be ignorant of its usage but I was. A few others chimed in that they were ignorant too.

And now I see a letter…one of only 26…that has baggage using it?

I keep getting in trouble with this stuff. Things I would have NO idea are potential trouble. I was truly shocked when I got busted for using a “bad word” that I literally had no idea was bad.

I am fairly well read but somehow I keep missing this stuff. So yeah, I want a list.

Jesus, you’re still smarting over uppity? That is some special kind of fragility you got there.

Wow! That’s horrible! Are you still up there? How’d you get a hand loose to post to a message board? How much battery is left on your phone? Do you need help?

What?

“Crucified”? Come on, dude. You’re being absurd. Get over yourself.

A little hyperbole is too much for you? You’re being absurd. Get over yourself.

If you respond to mild criticism as if you’re the son of god being tortured to death, it gets in the way of meaningful conversation.

(FYI: Jesus was not the only person crucified…just letting you know.)

Here’s how a rational, functioning adult responds to criticism, when it is pointed out that something they said could be offensive:

Here is how you respond to criticism, when it is pointed out that something you said could be offensive:

Yup.

I think that was a really good thread.

Indeed, I think it goes to the OP as a thread where many were saying something “of substance” on this message board.

Good grief. My days of not taking you seriously have apparently only just begun.

crucified; crucifying

Synonyms of crucify

transitive verb

: to put to death by nailing or binding the wrists or hands and feet to a cross

: to destroy the power of : MORTIFY

crucify the flesh

a

: to treat cruelly : TORMENT

b

: PILLORY sense 2

crucified in the press

(bolding mine)

Where is Jesus?

I hang out with a lot of college students and 30-something’s. I’ve never heard them say “bruh”. That’s because the people i hang out with include a lot of trans and non-binary people, and they try to avoid gendered language for unspecified people. And “bruh” is pretty obviously gendered. My connections are via a liberal university in the northeast.

I’m not surprised if kids in another part of the country use different slang. I’d be surprised if other kids who hang out in communities with a lot of people who tend to get hurt by gendered language use “bruh”, though.