Deceased G.O.P. Strategist’s Hard Drives Reveal New Details on the Census Citizenship Question

The Republican Party has already clearly stated that their only goal in this is to ensure the power of the Voting Rights Act. The fact that this would empower their political enemies is not lost on them, but nonetheless! they persist! A noble act of non-partisan sacrifice in the pursuit of justice and equality.

Let us take a moment to bask in the warm glow of this selfless courage.

Yes! They are indeed pillars of integrity and sincerity…

Can I get an amen!?

There is a legal penalty for lying on the census forms, but as a practical matter, I doubt it’s enforced very often, if ever.

So what if you just don’t answer that question?

There’s a penalty for that too, but again, I suspect seldom enforced.

Along with the “no,” not answering the question, why not N/A? One is actually filling in the blank with a third answer.

How about answering BOTH yes and no to the question?

Aren’t we all immigrants?

Not that I’m aware of, no.

I’m not.

One can be an immigrant and a citizen, however.

Answering that you are both a citizen and not a citizen? That would still probably count as lying on the census, if one is concerned about such things.

Any opinions about what was revealed in the OP?

Hearing that the administration is folding on the census question issue and that the forms are being printed without it. Early yet, not a lot of second-sourcing on this one, so we’ll see:

“Administration has apparently folded on Census/Citizenship question. Still trying to confirm details and interpretation of decision. Story to come.”

NPR confirming that:

Cue Trump claiming that the Democrats are cheating by opposing the question so that all the millions of illegal immigrant votes can be counted.

He can say whatever bullshit lie he wants to, it’s all he does. The good guys won a round, and a very important round it was. So go ahead Donnie, lie, fabricate (nevermind, that one’s too complicated for you.), and bullshit away. I’ll still be smiling.

That’s good. But we’re not hearing anything about the envelopes: What if the solution they’ve found is printing a warning in large block letters on the envelopes? Something like

NOTICE: IF YOU MAIL THIS FORM YOU ARE GRANTING YOUR CONSENT TO A SEARCH OF YOUR HOME BY I.C.E.

…in Spanish, of course.

I’m trying to figure out why this is triggering some iota of a shadow of a memory that the GOP in some southern state tried in a relatively recent election, putting out flyers that said different things in English and Spanish?

Racists gotta Race:

That does sound familiar. I’m not sure what search terms to use, but if it comes to me, I’ll post.