"Decimated" - what is the word we really want?

It took several years of SDMB membership to do it, but I no longer get huffy about stuff like the change in the meaning of decimate. Usage changes. We cannot expect the English language to remain static. Well, you can expect it, but the language will spit in your eye.

Decimate has been used to mean “to destroy a large portion of” sincethe mid 1600s. (There are three links here)

Note the mention of the etymological fallacy in the Oxford Dictionaries article.

And it wouldn’t come from Latin, because any civilization that willingly executes 90% of its military would be overrun by everybody and anybody else. Perhaps the Carthaginians, in this contra-historical case. And then Late Punic would have been the language of the Middle Ages. (And law, and medicine…)

I have heard people use “decimate” to “reduce TO 1/10”, because they’re vocabulary-savvy enough that the recognize the Latin root of “deci”, and when forced to come up with a numerical approximation for “very badly beaten/damaged/destroyed”, they figure “reduced to a tenth of original” fits the bill.

Yeah, it has migrated pretty far away from its original literal* meaning. I guess because no one thinks losing only 10% is so bad. I mean, 90% is still an “A”, right?

*“literal”: another word that, it seems, is being violently wrenched away from is original meaning. But that’s for another thread.

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”
– Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

:dubious:

If you think what I said is somehow comparable to this quote, frankly, I’m a little concerned.

I don’t know why, unless you’re using “concerned” in a way I’m misunderstanding.

The argument you cite (“we all understand each other just fine”) still runs the risk of my counter: “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Well, not everywhere. (At my schools, the cutoff was 93.)

If you search, there are numerous threads discussing “literally.” Or perhaps I should say, there are literally a bazillion threads discussing its perceived misuse.

If we all understand each other just fine then the word means exactly what we think it means.

Why not just say “Decimated 21.8543453267 times”?

Suffer enormous losses.