Deep Clog in Sink Drain... help me out, please.

This is the correct advice. That said, I was surprised when my plumber last time told me to throw drain cleaner down there every few months as “maintenance.”

I kind of wonder. I know (most) plumbers hate it (mine didn’t give a shit), and you’re not supposed to do it, but the vast majority of the time drain cleaner fixes the problem for me.

He was likely thinking of some sort of enzyme drain cleaner, such as :
"DrainScrub Powder Enzyme Drain Cleaner and Septic Treatment Environmentally Friendly Bacteria Unclog and Deodorize Pipes "
https://www.google.com/search?q=Enzyme+Drain+Cleaner&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUtIW_xZDaAhUTzWMKHc-IA74Q_AUICigB&biw=1617&bih=877

No, he specifically said “some Drain-O or Liquid Plumr”.

A plumber’s snake works better, and it’s easier on the pipes.

Regards,
Shodan

Yeah, we have a couple augurs here, as well. I’ve never had any luck with them, though. The powered augurs the plumbers use seem to work quite well though.

Some guys drilled through the drain pipe with one of those at the rental house.

The only DYI method that worked for me was an augur. Draino would improve it for a few days. The augur was the only permanent solution.

Here is what I do. I have to repeat every year or two, but it seems to work.

1. Boil a kettle of water and pour it down whichever sink seems to be draining slowest.
  2. Fill both sinks with the hottest tap water you have.
  3. Get two plungers and two people and plunge like hell. Actually I plunge like hell (into the slower draining bowl) and my wife mainly tries to keep the water from coming out of her sink.
    It has never failed.

Plunging a double basin sink, you have to block the second basin or all the plunging will do is lift up water into it.
You want to develop pressure at the back of the blockage instead.
I like Drano, but I’ve got a 90 year old house with cast iron pipes. Takes a lot of sodium hydroxide to hurt that. Newer piping materials are more sensitive.
If not Drano, put some dish soap down the pipe with hot water before plunging. That makes things, including the clog much Slipperier, as does sodium hydroxide.
Once you’ve got a bit of flow, send down hot to boiling water. That usually melts the grease which usually the glue that holds these clogs together.
Old Settlement recommends a usual procedure of a gallon of boiling water down the sink weekly, to prevent occurrence of clogs.

I did not know that.

If the lines are easily accessible cutting out a section of plastic pipe is my go to method, No hub clamps will make it even easier next time

I just fixed a deep grease partial clog the crazy way - i just put the stopper in the drain in the left sink, then filled the right side with hot water and ran the garburetor. It forces the hot water to flow past the partial clog, softening it. I had to repeat this twice, then suddenly there was a ‘glurp’ sound and the clog completely cleared.

The crazy part comes from the fact that you are pressurizing the drain pipe somewhat, so if there is a weak joint somewhere you run the risk of bursting a pipe. I know my system well enough and have glued enough drain pipes that I felt it was safe in my case. If you are worried, try using a plunger. And this won’t work for a full clog.

If you’ve foolishly put grease down there, then once you’ve got partial unblockage, put plenty of hot water down afterwards.
Say 30 gallons. You want that big semi-melted blog transrferred all the way to the main sewer line in the street. Otherwise, it’ll just serve as a sticky nucleus for new clogs.

Drano doesn’t work on zombie clogs; too much protein. In fact, I once melted a PVC pipe with drain chemicals and will never use them again. I used to swear by them for years, but once that happens, ugh! Thank Og the melty bit was underneath the house and not down a wall or something. Just a nasty bit of dirt to remove.

If you’re going to put grease down a pipe (and, DON’T!) but if you’re going to, do it right before you run the dishwasher. Pour the grease down with hot water and plenty of Dawn dish soap, and then turn the dishwasher on. That way you are more likely to get it all to the end of the pipe before it cools off and congeals.

Once you’ve got the grease clog, and if the pipe is draining a bit (don’t use this for a full clog) What you need is a boatload of hot salty water. Get out your two or three biggest spaghetti pots, fill them with water, and boil it. Then add as much salt as you can get to dissolve. Cheapo road salt will do fine. Then add a bunch of Dawn dish soap. This is moment to buy the name brand, as Dawn really does have some proprietary ingredient that helps dissolve grease.

Stir the soap in equally among the pots and then pour it all in as quickly as you can. You want a solid wall of hot, salty, soapy water pressing on that clog all the way down and out of the house.

Do that again once a year or so to keep it flowing.

Don’t use this on toilets. First, because they almost never have a grease clog, but secondly because it will melt the wax seal that keeps the water in the bowl and off of your floor. Those are a real pain to replace; simple, but not easy. Don’t ask me how I know.

That is your Main! as in when the clog is at the street connection or at least between the house and the street! and it is in the basement if you have one.

Sunday morning i was attempting to speed up a sluggish bathroom sink drain and he plunger was AWOL! I had unclogged the kitchen drain using the palm of my hand to work like a plunger but the sink bowl was not cooperating.
I had pulled the trap a couple days prior and used the handy ZIP-IT a zip strip with hair grabbing teeth that works well on the tub drain,
anyway Easter morning there i am and i end up with a complete Clog!, No plunger and all the family coming after Church for Dinner!
I almost called a plumber!!!
But i filled a gallon zip lock bag with hot water, tore a small hole in the botton placed it over the clogged drain and pushed!
It worked beautifully!!
Defiantly going to get a new Plunger though!!

You could just put a plug in the other sink. Works just as well.

Top tip!!

Plunger will work in most situations but** for it to really work totally cover the overflow hole.** That second part is the key.

Ah, clogged sinks, the problem that won’t go away. My house has this problem a lot. There is something better than Drano, it’s called something like Hair and Grease Remover. Comes in a black bottle. Available at Home Depot, and probably other places, but we get it there.

When we sense the sink starting to get slow, step 1 is to pour in about a half cup of baking soda and follow that with a cup or so of vinegar. Let it boil around for a few minutes then pour down some boiling water.

Step two is the Hair and Grease Remover.

Step three, on the occasions that hasn’t worked, we’ve had a plumber out to snake the drain.

Step four, ongoing, we try really hard not to let any grease or any foodstuff go down the drain. Obviously there will be remnants of food on the stuff in the dishwasher and any food can turn into grease.