"Defending Their Country"

You make a very good point, mhendo. Come to think of it, often it’s not the soldiers saying such things it’s politicians, and their ilk, playing to the cameras.

Or Trevelyan’s The American Revolution

Among those who beat the wardrums loudest, are few who have touched a sword.

I hope the op is a joke.

Why would it be a joke?

Ummm, yes – there’s a metric fuckton of people out there who think that.

They’re morons, of course, but they’re definitely out there.

I’m not too worried about Muslims taking over the United States but I was fully behind the war in Afghanistan. You don’t have to be defending against an existential threat in order to be defending the country. I can fully understand being against the war in Iraq but I don’t get why they’re against the war in Afghanistan. If someone carrying out an attack against your country isn’t a good enough reason to go to war I don’t know what is.

Afghanistan didn’t attack us.

Correct, Saudi Arabia did.

But they hung out in Afghanistan. The whole continent is a mess as far as I’m concerned, sorry to say.

For the OP I can only recomend playing a few rounds of a board game called Diplomacy. It’s an Avalon Hill game that will give you some insight into the matter of borders.

They were harboring the organization that did. Our attack was justified.

You’re full of shit.

::snip::

No, you don’t. See assholish comments above.

Swing and a complete and utter miss.

Wrong again, shitbird. They aren’t painting themselves as anything. It’s politicians and pundits who are swinging a big brush.

You’re a fucking idiot, and you’re completely and utterly wrong in your characterizations.

The only fool here is you. You haven’t the slightest clue as to what you’re babbling on about, nor any notion about what goes on in a military person’s mind. There are certainly some of the stereotypes you’ve outlined here, but most military people are simply doing the job they were hired for and would not even come close to representing the picture you have painted of them. You’re a fucking troll who has decided to come in here and villify people that you’re not fit to haul trash for.

By that logic, we should attack the entire state of Oklahoma after Timothy McVeigh bombed the Federal Building.

Sorry to have so offended Mr. Alpha, didn’t mean to touch a nerve, I assure you, just offering up an opinion. Isn’t my freedom to express my opinion one of the things they’re heroically defending?

Maybe I have it all wrong, who knows?

Are other countries justified in attacking the US, killing thousands of civilians, because the US harbors terrorists?

Yes, the two situations are completely analogous. Your spot on interpretation of events has won me over.

You are right.
The analogy is way too detailed and knowledgeable of the internal situation of the target.

The entire U.S.A. should have been nuked, not just Ukla… Okli… can’t even pronounce that… kill them all!!

uhm… Rah !

Did I say the U.S.A should be nuked?

I meant, of course, all of America, the whole fucking continent is a mess!!
Just look at Venezuela for f’s sake. Let’s start with San fransisco.
Rah, Rah!

Hey, you’re free to be wrong.

I’m not very “alpha.” My Navy service was of a comparatively humble nature. The awards I’m proudest of are the unit awards my commands were granted - these recognized some strong teamwork and unit cohesion. I’m happy to have been a part of that.

I don’t characterize my service as heroic because I have met too many people who are genuine heroes. I’m not a combat veteran, so I don’t make that claim. I am proud that what I did helped in a small way to end the war in Bosnia. And I think that’s fair.

It’s pretty clear to me that the US military creates a deterrent to those who would otherwise feel free to invade our shores or interfere with our national interests. So the US being proactive in removing potential threats to our way of life from abroad is “defending,” IMHO.

Uninformed opinion is generally called “bullshit”. Saying that it’s just your opinion is a copout. Have you ever served in the military? Have you ever worked with active or retired military? Are there no alpha type males in your line of work? Please enlighten us as to where your opinions come from.