[QUOTE=Liberal]
What am I to do, for example, when Voyager asks me to please explain the logical connection between this and that? Tell him that you prefer I do not? ![]()
[/QUOTE]
I think the point he was trying to make wasn’t that you shouldn’t respond given the questions, but that you shouldn’t in the first place create the impression that you are using a logical basis to assert your beliefs. Namely, that your only argument should be “My experience has led me to believe…” and “In my view” not “my experience creates a logical system that proves God exists” and then defend it by using definitional attacks every time somebody questions that assertion that your experience is somehow tied to any logical system. Using logic to assert a universal God from your personal experiences is, in fact, an attack on everybody else. By saying that God is necessary, unless you add in a clause like “I think God is necessary” or “God is necessary, to me (or in my view)” you’re not asserting a personal belief anymore, you’re asserting a belief that by it’s very nature we MUST follow. I realize, of course that many (all) religions do indeed try to do just this, but in a thread soliciting outside definitions, to continuously defend your position as a logical necessity within a certain parameter of definitions seems like you’re brushing off every other possible definition in favor of creating environment where the only thing that CAN be debated is your position (which is indeed what’s happening)