[QUOTE=Liberal]
No, actually, that was in response to Voyager’s assertion that necessary existence is impossible. It was a tangent. In fact, this whole thread, practically, has been off-topic from the OP, which simply solicited definitions of God.
[/QUOTE]
Ah, my confusion. Sorry for continuing this hijack, then; perhaps you would prefer to discuss your modal arguments outside this thread, or in private correspondence?
[QUOTE=Indistinguishable]
But as this asserts that all objects exist necessarily, if we accept it, we must conclude that, for example, the Eiffel Tower exists necessarily; it is not possible for the Eiffel Tower to not exist.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Liberal]
But only in the actual world. I don’t think we are compelled to reject the converse Barcan formula’s application to AxEy(y = x) just because it pisses off actualists hell bent on eliminating NE.
[/QUOTE]
Well, it just seems to me an odd thing to believe, that the Eiffel Tower must exist necessarily, that there are no possible worlds without the Eiffel Tower, but apparently you don’t find it so bizarre. (I have my own problems with the concept of transworld identity, anyway, though, so I particularly find it hard to swallow).
[QUOTE=Indistinguishable]
And, indeed, in your modal logic, possible existence implies necessary existence.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Liberal]
I don’t think so. Possible existence implies necessarily possible existence (the S5 axiom: <>A -> <>A). But <>A -> A is a unique frame (unique in the sense of an accessibility relation of x and y identity), which would be a CD system.
[/QUOTE]
Well, necessary possible existence should imply necessary existence in your logic. Here, starting from your conclusion of AxEy(y = x), I will prove that possible existence implies necessary existence.
Proof:
- AxEy(y = x) [Proved by Liberal in #287]
- <>Ey(y = z) [Hypothesis that z has possible existence; to be discharged later]
- Ey(y = z) [From 1 by universal instantiation with z; if you like, refer to the quantifier axioms in the PDF file linked to in #287]
- <>Ey(y = z) -> Ey(y = z) [From 3, discharging the hypothesis on line 2]
Ta-da! Possible existence implies necessary existence. Is this not condoned by your particular modal first-order logic?
I’m afraid I don’t know what a CD system is. But as I said, my quibble is not with your use of S5, but there’s more than one way to set S5 up to deal with first-order logic (universal and existential quantifiers). Your particular way seems to be set up to require that the domain of individuals at each possible world in the Kripke frame must be the same. (Is this not the case? If not, what do you take to be the allowable Kripke frames?). And my quibble is, why not use a different logic with looser conditions than that? [Specifically, if you used Kripke’s Quantified Modal Logic, it is line 6 of your argument in #287 which would be invalid, the closest valid conclusion being instead AxEy(y = x)]
[QUOTE=Indistinguishable]
We must conclude that if it’s possible for Santa Claus to exist, then it’s necessary for Santa Claus to exist (and thus, if it’s at all possible for Santa Claus to exist, then Santa Claus really does exist). This strikes me as a ludicrous way to set things up. Do you really buy this?
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Liberal]
No, I don’t. But the conclusion that you reached applies if and only if Santa Claus is defined as the supreme being, which does nothing but make Santa Claus a synonym for God, just like Dieux or Dios or Gott. We could also use the term Vegemite. Or cat breath. Or XJ-618Z. Or anything else we define the same way we define God. But that would introduce obfuscation.
[/QUOTE]
I’m afraid my mentioning Santa Claus may have been misleading here; I wasn’t intending to discuss God in this paragraph, but just your particular modal logic, which is set up to have possible existence imply necessary existence, and which I think is a silly way to set things up.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
I left out a part of that paragraph because the complexity of unravelling it and responding would exceed the time I have, but as to your direct question, Plantinga argues that S5 is the appropriate system because of the nature of S5 agents in epistemic logic. If we are to prove something about the ontological nature of a supreme being, then it is reasonable to employ a system in which that being is capable of mapping every implication of its existence. It is certainly unusual for an ordinary ontological agent to exist where it doesn’t exist, but such an ontological demand is called for in examining an agent that cannot not exist.
(Note that we could use the same system to argue epistemically for God’s omniscience as a knowledge agent Who knows what He does not know.)
[/QUOTE]
Again, I have no problems with using S5 (requiring of Kripke frames that the accessibility relation be an equivalence relation). But S5 only completely specifies a propositional modal logic. When you add in the first-order quantifiers, there’s more than one way to do it and still be called S5. Your way of dealing with the first-order quantifiers in S5 seems tenuous to me (puts a condition on Kripke frames that all worlds have the same individuals). And that’s what I’m asking you to justify, not the S5 part.
Just to make it really clear: There’s more than one system of first-order modal logic which can be said to be S5. Some of these will validate necessary existence, etc., and some will not. The particular one you’ve chosen seems implausible to me, and I ask you what is its justification over one of the others? (Here, from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy again, is an example of an S5 system spelled out in detail which does NOT prove the things I have a problem with)
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Well, there are versions of the MOP which do not use Becker’s postulate. For example, a five-step proof can be constructed using the theorem (G -> G) -> (<>G -> G) as a third premise, which seems reasonable to me but weakens the form (weak in the strictly formal sense of adding more axioms).
[/QUOTE]
I would find that a rather odd premise and would see no reason to grant it, whether for God or Horf, so, yes, the argument would be valid but I wouldn’t consider it sound. Indeed, I’d consider that premise to really be the source of where I think the ontological proofs find themselves based on an unwarranted assumption.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
I would like to add, for your edification, that although I’m flattered by your reference to me as a logician, I’m not. In fact, I’m barely formally educated beyond high school (one semester of college on two textile science scholarships). What I say carries no weight of authority whatsoever aside from the facts themselves. I am self-taught, having studied philosophy for almost forty years. What I’ve learned, I’ve learned by reading and by speaking with other knowledgable people. I am very aware of the shortcomings and pitfalls of autodidacticism. I have always disclaimed myself this way, and make no pretense about any qualifications.
[/QUOTE]
Well, as I must obligatorily note as a new poster, I’m a long-time lurker and have some knowledge of these things. But my reference to you as a logician was meant to be in the sense of your having a hobby of discussing formal logic, and my reference to us having “calm discussion as logicians” was in the sense of us conversing on formal objective logical matters, the way one might describe two people working out a math problem as “mathematicians”, in that situation, even if they have no professional training in the subject.