[QUOTE=Liberal]
Then why did you bring it up? You raised the point that I had assigned to morality an aesthetical judgment, but left out that I had described that assignment as subjective, thus countering your assertion that I had described positive as good and negative as bad.
[/QUOTE]
I brought it up to show you that asking me “how is positive defined” was a useless endeavour if we don’t agree on a semantic frame for our discussion.
I didn’t say what you imply I said in the bolded bit, I said that was what I understood them to mean, subjectively.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Well, just to clear that up, if we say that a world is possible, it doesn’t mean that the world contains modal assertions of possibility. It means that the world contains assertions of truth for that world. Thus, if W is possible, and p1, p2, and p3 are true at W, W is comprised not of <>p1, <>p2, and <>p3, but of p1, p2, and p3.
[/QUOTE]
I’m aware of this - but we are not referring to a world, but an entity in that world, one that’s defined in most formulations of the MOP I’ve seen as a sum of some set of positive attributes.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Well, that’s just ridiculous. I was the one harmed. Why is the victim irrelevant?
[/QUOTE]
Because Justice (at least, the way I understand it) is an abstract ideal. What you’re describing is indeed Mercy, and it’s you who are conflating the two
[QUOTE=Liberal]
You’re describing a system of ethics in which God makes rules and people who break them are punished. The degree to which that resembles anything I’ve proposed is the degree to which it is pertinent to my assertions. And that’s pretty much none at all.
[/QUOTE]
I disagree that you get to redefine words like Justice and Mercy to suit your argument.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
No, that’s not right. For the MOP, it is God’s existence that is defined. Now, there can be arguments that demand more, like the argument from cosmology. There, God is a creator being, and thus must have the power and knowledge to create. But to exist, a being need only have bounds that identify him and individuate his existence from the existence of any other being.
[/QUOTE]
How are you going to individuate him without defining him?
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Thanks for saying that.
The last thing I want is for you and I to fall out again. In fact, I would sooner abandon the argument than allow for that.
[/QUOTE]
I’m totally with you on this - in fact, see the end of my post.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Well, to their credit, I will say that Infidels has attempted to squash the “can’t prove a negative” business. But it’s hard to unring a bell, and the meme has propogated far beyond the borders of those who consult Infidels.
[/QUOTE]
Then I’d suggest continuing to hold it against them is not right.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Such attributes are not only not central to the MOP, they are thoroughly irrelevant with respect to the MOP.
[/QUOTE]
I disagree that anything that’s needed to define God is irrelevant to the MOP
[QUOTE=Liberal]
You can convince me simply by showing me. Where, in describing God as necessary existence is there any statement about knowledge, power, or morality — even in the traditional ethics sense of morality?
[/QUOTE]
I’m going by every argument about the MOP that I’ve seen so far. It comes into it every time. If God were just necessary existence without any other attributes, all you’ve shown is that necessary existence exists (if you buy the premises), which is hardly an argument. You have to attach other attributes to the necessarily existing entity to get God out at the end.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Right. It has a bias, which it even admits. It is dedicated to publishing the viewpoints of materialists. Would you accept a cite from a journal that is primarily associated with a church, and whose mission is to publish primarily the work of church doctrinaires who also happen to be logicians? If so, I can bring in a whole slew of pro-side arguers that I heretofore have left unmentioned.
[/QUOTE]
Do they also publish counter-arguments? It’s a fallacy that just because *Philo *didn’t have a counterarticle for that one article, that they don’t publish pro-theology article. A glance at their website shows this. There is a mission, and a bias, but you’ve not shown that they are not a professional philosophical journal.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Somewhere, there is a disconnect. Consider that if A implies B, then it is not necessarily the case that B implies A. The latter is the converse of the former. Why would any logician cite the converse of a statement as implying that the original statement is false? The possibility sentence you gave is the *converse * of the S2 axiom. At best, it is a strawman.
[/QUOTE]
But it’s not cited to counter S2, it’s cited to show that a definition of both Godel and Plantiga’s formulations of the MOP are not coherent. I don’t know why you keep bringing up the relation to S2, it’s not relevant. What’s relevant is what you’ve already agreed, that it is not a true statement.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Or, light is an electromagnetic wave.
[/QUOTE]
This is the same statement as what I said.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Light, like God, may be examined in many different ways, which is a point I made above. But to say that good = positive and bad = negative certainly objectivises positivity, especially if you’re going to hold God as the agent to account.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t agree - like I said, they are attributes not things. I fail to see how that objectifies them.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
You protested above, saying that God did not have to consider me in His dispensation of justice. Why, if His considerations are not objective?
[/QUOTE]
But they are objective, if you assign the quality of All-Just to God. That’s supposed to be the point of Ultimate Justice.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
A slime mold whose being is defined as supreme, making it just a synonym for God — like Allah. I could call a pig a bird. But that wouldn’t make the pig fly. I could call a pig a slime mold, but it will still grunt like a pig. Why use a term (slime mold) that obfuscates when a perfectly good term (God) is already available and universally recognized to mean Supreme Being?
[/QUOTE]
Because I’m trying to see where, if the only property exhibited is “supreme existence”, it makes any difference.
Let me ask this straight out, and I’d like a straight answer: Are you saying that God need have no other attributes at all except existance? That that would fulfill the criteria for something to be God to you? It wasn’t enough for Godel or Plantinga. Both their MOP variants speak of properties attached to God.
Or are you saying that from necessary existance, other attributes of God naturally follow? Because I’m not seeing where you showed that.
Now, to my last point - I don’t think I’m ever going to buy into the MOP, because I don’t agree with the idea that perfection is possible, in any possible world. I think the onus is on the ones invoking it to show that it is. Consider this a denial of the metaphysical, if you will. I’m happy with this, and I’m cool with just watching the debate from now on. I’ll set up my chair here, right next to SentientMeat. I’ve agreed with every pixel he’s put forth so far (well, except I have to track down the books he’s referenced).