[QUOTE=Liberal]
Everything about our existence — every single detail — is utterly unique, however slightly, again owing to the nature of electromagnetism.
[/QUOTE]
Again, it seems to me that you are equating existence with the experience that arises from it. I say “seems to me” just so you understand that I don’t want you thinking I’m saying this is what you are saying, but as an invitation for clarity, you understand?
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Right. And moreover, Socrates and Aristotle can… well, not only can, but *must * have different kinds of wisdom, if wisdom has anything to do with experience.
[/QUOTE]
Agreed
[QUOTE=Liberal]
I don’t see why not. I think an infant who died at childbirth had less existence than a great-grandmother who is still alive at 103.
[/QUOTE]
I’d disagree. Well, other thanb “nothing” is less than “something”, but “less than” implies a continuum.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
In fact, now that he’s dead, her existence is infinitely greater than his. I also think it’s as meaningful qualitatively as it is quantitatively. A comatose man with lifelong severe retardation has less existence than a man who travels the world as a head of state.
[/QUOTE]
well, some heads of state ;).
Seriously, though, I don’t agree. That’s not how I use “existence” at all.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
That is not to say that one individual is morally worth more than another, but that their ontological manifestations are unique.
[/QUOTE]
If all you’re saying is that everything that exists, exists uniquely, you’ll get no arguement from me, and we can move on. Errm, I mean I’ll go back to sitting next to SM. It was that “Boundaries of existence” phrase that made me raise my hand, but if by that you mean each individual is its own individual, I don’t fault that, it fits right in with my worldview.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
That depends on how you define brown. If it is exactly equal parts red light and green light, then deviations are less brown.
[/QUOTE]
But we are not, or at least I am not, we define a range of shades, and anything within that set is brown. Anything outside is not. One brown may be more red-brown than another, or darker-brown than another, but they are all equally brown. At least, that’s how I see it.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
I think that if existence is defined carelessly, we end up with there being no difference between your existence and that of a virtual particle. And that’s setting aside the sticky business of such things as unicorns and whether thoughts exist.
[/QUOTE]
There is no difference as I see it between my existence and the existence of anything else in the material world, as existence. I don’t know what you mean by a “virtual” particle, unless you’re misunderstanding current ideas on subatomic physics, but I’m pretty sure that’s been discussed with youfairly recently, so I don’t think that’s it, and perhaps you could clarify?Unicorns do not exist. The idea of unicorns exists. Thoughts exist.
That is all, of course, my worldview. What is your view on the existence of thoughts?
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Like Miller, I think that Kant stripped existence of all meaning. To help illustrate what I mean, instead of “brown”, let’s use a verb: “tan”. And let’s say that Socrates tans and Aristotle tans. Even though there are unstated predicates, there are predications. The two men will tan differently unless every particular about them is identical, including their skin pigment and the angle of sun. Even allowing that their skin pigment is miraculously the same by some astonishing quantum accident, they still have not merged into one being and received identical rays of sun.
[/QUOTE]
I think that’s a case of shoehorning a word into a role where another would do. There is a difference between existence and experience, IMO. The one necessitates the other, but they are not identical.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Our usages are not that different. I would say that existence is the fact of a subject’s physical emergence (which I would argue isn’t real, but that’s beside the point here), but I would say the same as you about essence (though I would include experiences in the attributes).
[/QUOTE]
You seem to me to be saying experience is the domain of essence, not existence, here.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Who said otherwise? You brought up the classic “Socrates is a man” to illustrate predication. And I was making the point that is central to Miller’s argument, that you are no more individuated by that statement about Socrates than you are by the statement “Socrates exists”.
[/QUOTE]
But Socrates is individuated from everything not-him. Which would, to me, be more in line with Kant’s point.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Recall that the whole point of Kant’s treatment of predication was that it must *individuate * one subject from another. All we have to do to predicate existence linguistically is to express “exists” as a copula (which some languages do anyway). Thus, “Socrates exists as Socrates”, which has a formal predicate (predicate nominative) and individuates Socrates from every thing else ever in existence.
[/QUOTE]
I would say that was implicit in any reading of “Socrates Exists”, even the English one. But note, I am not a Kantian,
[QUOTE=Liberal]
My apologies, then, for that misunderstanding. It was coming across to me more like you didn’t understand, what with dismissals about Zen metaphors and observations that I seemed to be saying this or that, when I believe I’ve stated my case as plainly as anyone can. I was dumbfounded because, speaking for myself, I first have to understand something before I can say whether I disagree with it. But that doesn’t necessarily hold for everyone.
[/QUOTE]
Hey, now, that’s a little acid, no?
Anyway, I think you are making the jump from “did not agree” to “did not understand” too quickly there. I do grasp the concept of “bounds”, but don’t agree with the idea that it is the essence that bounds the existence. I’m more inclined to say it is the other way around - it is my existence as individual that constrains all my experiences. The fact that I cannot experience what you experience forces me to be different from you, like you said. But that fact arises from the material circumstances of my existence, not from my essence. In fact, my essence arises solely from my interactions with those bounds and my internal structure.
Again, that’s as I see it, which is of course, not as you do.