Democrats demand that Rove apologize or resign

The “money quote”. The real meat of the matter. “No more needs to be said about the motives of liberals.” To put our troops in danger, to backstab our heroes with treasonous statements of fact. We of the left are treacherous traitors, who want nothing better than the death of our own.

Are you mad yet? Now, finally, are you pissed off? If not now, when?

People making blanket statements based on the actions of two or three individuals despite those individuals being contradicted by the vast majority of the members of the group?

Can you point to some examples?

Because I can think of times when a group gets defined by fringe whackos because nobody else in the group is speaking up.

And I can think of times when a group gets defined by opinions that are held by approximately half the group.

And I can think of times when a group gets defined by opinions that are held by a vast majority of the group.

But I can’t think of times when virtually every member of a group says one thing, a couple of fringe characters say another, and the whole group is defined by the fringe characters.

Damn straight, thanks Undle Karl!

Whee!! Please pass the Fire and Unity!!

Uncle Karl

After the Oklahoma City bombing, the liberals wanted to try to understand what had just happened, while the conservatives were ready to start bombing some brown people.

It isn’t something to be proud of.

Here.

And here.

And here.

And here.

Ahem!

It baffles me why the president would defend such talk as Rove’s. We are a nation at war, and Rove’s words are incredibly divisive. If we’re ever to win this war on terror, to say nothing of Iraq, the president needs to unify us. When instead he seeks to divide, he is failing his duty to his country, and letting down our troops overseas.

Bush has launched an initiative to stop the falling support among Americans for the Iraq war. Rove is now in the process of doing the tak show circuit, so one must assume that this effort is part of that initiative. The problem is, Rove is prone to foot in mouth disease in the same way Dean is. He (Rove) is much more effective when he’s opperating behind the scenes. Even when he’s talking sense, he just looks like some evil little egg-headed guy that you wouldn’t allow near your children.

I have no doubt that Rove used the term “liberal” rather than “Democrat” on purpose. Why would Hillary, for instance, object to his statement if she isn’t a liberal? Hillary is therefore a liberal. Q.E.D.

But calling for his resignation? Come on!!! He’s not a real politician, nor does he represent a political party. Yet another mountain being made out of molehill.

Really? :confused:
I thought drawn and quartered meant something else? :wink:

What I find interesting is that his administration’s continual preoccupation with “firing up the base” is beginning to do some real damage to their party’s standing in the polls. If I were a republican congressperson facing re-election next year, I wouldn’t scream it out to the world, but I certainly would take someone aside and request that they kindly shut the fuck up.

I’ll give you 1, but not the other 3. 1 is a silly statement that doesn’t even reflect the views of a fringe minority of Christians. Actually, it isn’t even a good example because it doesn’t even reflect the views of a fringe set. But I’ll give it anyway.
2 and 4 I won’t give. Why? Because they aren’t even slightly fringe. They are comments on extremely widely held Christian beliefs. Universal? No. But extremely widely held. I requested cites that showed outspoken majority opinions being ignored in favor of minority opinions. These are examples of outspoken opinions that, at least if voting is anything to go by, are in the majority. Groups will be known for what the majority of them say. Can’t get around that.

3 is a statement of opinion about the value of the Catholic Church. He’s allowed to have an opinion about the church. I think it’s done way more harm than good myself, and I grew up in it. I don’t consider this quote relevant to this discussion any more than I would say that my saying, “NASCAR sucks and while I suppose some of the fans are okay it’s still teh suxx0r!” would be relevant.

The odds of Rove either resigning or apologizing are right down there with the odds of the legions of Bush apologists denouncing Rove’s smear.

Actually, one could argue that by making those who are supporting the terrorists jump around in outrage helps speed up the process of identifying who is an enemy and who isn’t, as well as helping to unify the “true” Americans who support the President, as only their opinions should be considered.

Well, one could. I wouldn’t.

How very even-handed of you, John. Yes, I see now, its only liberals who are traitorous scum who wish death on our troops. Not necessarily Democrats, just liberals. Those Democrats who aren’t liberals, like “Rabid” Zell Miller, aren’t backstabbing scum. And, I suppose, all those Republicans who are liberals, well, they’re Quislings as well! Refresh my memory, John, who might these liberal Republicans be? Got memory issues, can’t seem to think of any. Got a list handy?

I swear, John, some days I think if you don’t get down off that damn fence, I’m gonna set it on fire just to find out if you ain’t glued to it!

Democrats were looking for something to distract the public from the latest barrage of stupidity from dolts like Durbin and Dean. Rove gave them something.

Not that it could have been avoided - Dems would fasten on anything they could.

Dean: “I hate Republicans and everything they stand for.”

Immediate chorus from the Usual Suspects: “He means some Republicans- the bad ones! And he only meant politicians, not voters!”

Dean: “Republicans don’t care about waiting in line to vote - none of them worked an honest day in their lives.”

Immediate chorus from the Usual Suspects: “He means some Republicans. And he only meant politicians - not voters!”

Rove: “Liberals responded to 9/11 with indictments and therapy.”

Immediate chorus from the Usual Suspects: “WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! He meant all Democrats!”

Enjoy your squawk-fest for as long as it lasts.

Regards,
Shodan

Nice try, Shodan, no cigar. The quote that counts is right there in black and white, where he plainly states that liberals seek harm to our troops.

I’ll put it to you plain. I’m a liberal. (Well, a radical, actually, but close enough…)

You look me in the eye and tell me I seek to harm our troops?

Cards on the table time. Put up or shut up.

Not what I meant at all. I’m fairlly certain that Rove wanted folks to hear “Democrats” even though he said “liberals”. It was a weasely thing to do, but does give him “plausible deniability” if any Democrats take offense. And, it has the added benefit of pasting the “liberal” label on any Democrat who does take offense.

But I still think it’s absurd to call for his resignation. It might be politically expedient for the Democrats to do so, but that doesn’t make it any less absurd.

You’re…a LIBERAL?!? And a RADICAL?!? :confused: I never knew…

:wink:

-XT

p.s. if you care I don’t think you (or the majority of Liberals) were ever one to ‘seek harm to our troops’, blah blah blah.

Shodan, please write in multi-sentence paragraphs. You’re smarter than that.