Democrats emphasizing the color red and Republicans emphasizing the color blue

Yes, they answered my question while I was in the process of asking it!

Hillary wore white for her acceptance speech at the DNC.

(bolding, uh, mine)

AHunter3, thanks for the added info – interesting. So, I was wrong about it being random – in fact, there was a precedent for displaying the incumbent as blue, and the challenger as red.

Oh, no argument; I meant it when I said I found this interesting. I just poked around with my friend Google and found out that the bright shade of red that Nancy Reagan favored was referred to as Reagan red in her honor, so I think I read something about that at the time and then later, when the Republicans started to be strongly identified with red after the 2000 election, made a connection that turns out not to have been real. Ignorance fought!

the networks always kind of varied before 2000, tho in reality, red = R and blue = D was common, contrary to popular myth:

1980:
ABC with R=Red, D=Blue

1984:
CBS, and ABC had R=Rep, D=Blue

1988:
CBS had R = Rep, D = Blue

1992:
ABC, CBS and CNN had R=Red, D=Blue

and as the years went on, holdouts like NBC ultimately got with the program

I remember the 1980 election map being described as “a sea of Reagan red” and I think that’s where the color designation has been ever since.

I don’t think this has anything to do with wardrobe selection, some people just look better in some colors than others.

There are many books on “color psychology”. Companies have spent a fortune researching which colors are best to place on their product packaging.

Bottom line: You can bet your bippy they are wearing those colors for a specific reason!

I’ve read a bit on this subject and (in the 1980’s). At that time the books said women are more attracted to the color blue. And men are more attracted to the color red. Also blue is a passive color and red an aggressive color.

I don’t know if this is still the case? (Look at the colors used in the tool department of a hardware store and the colors used mostly in women’s departments.)

Many times advertisers will make ads which try to gain a larger market share (more sales) from a specific demographic (type of person). And their research would have shown their product sales to that group is lower than with other groups. So they target market…

It could be Hillary is trying to appeal more to men. Or look more aggressive/strong? And the opposite for Trump. That would be my guess.

Note a lot on this subject is a big corporate secret. So they are not sharing their research. But you can read quite a bit by searching google.com for color psychology.

I am guilty of passing along untruths.

Actual colors used

This site/cite indicates that Kevin Drum of the Washington Monthly popularized the “blue for incumbent party” myth that I repeated above.

Sorry folks.