Dems - Defend your Senators holding the budget bill hostage

And I’m glad five Democratic Senators did the right thing by voting for the CR.

Maybe, just maybe, five or so more will join them tonight or tomorrow morning.

Hopefully the Republicans will stop holding policies that benefit Americans hostage, and that they ostensibly support, and introduce a separate and clean CHIP bill that would have overwhelming support.

Yes, yes, but are American taxpayers going to fund the superwall that Mexico is “going to pay for”?

Ok, so why don’t the Democrats drop DACA as a negotiating tool, for the time being, and simply agree to funding CHIP?

I have no doubt that all the Democrats would vote for a clean CHIP bill, not tied to DACA or government funding or anything else. Most Republicans would as well.

I’m going to save this post as the first time I’ve seen a conservative on this board care about government funded health care! What a thrilling development!

Well, i’ve been reading through this wonderful discussion of yours.
If the actual politicians in Washington are even slightly as childish as the median poster in here, then it is no wonder the government has troubles.
I have rarely seen such an immature collection of name-calling, sniping, back-biting and doubletalking infants in my life!

Have you been over to the BBQ Pit? This is the nice part of the site.

Are you new to the internet? If you are, whatever you do, DO NOT read the comments to any news story anywhere ever. Or just any comments to anything ever. You will lose all faith in humanity. Just a friendly tip. If this thread gives you the vapors … oh boy …

If you would take the time to read through the Registration Agreement, (necessary to actually post here), you will note that while a certain level of snark is permitted in this forum, it must not be directed against other posters.

Feel free to express your opinions using hostile language in The BBQ Pit, but do not resort to name-calling or direct insults against other posters when posting in this forum.

[ /Moderasting ]

Alright, then, explain those four Republicans who crossed party lines to vote against the punt.

It is likely that a good number of those children benefiting from CHIP have also parents that use DACA.

And that is what is at stake here too, or are we going to let a minority (that is controlling the Republicans now) that does hate immigrants so much that we will do the classic experiment, that one with many predictable results, like to get as a result of that many kids that will get into trouble with the law when there are no parents around?

In my personal opinion, those four are being contrarian dicks.

@GIGO, she has a 17 year old kid and qualified for DACA?

The parents are, their 17th year old is an American, but her future is not important for the Republicans in Congress.

What about a supporter of them like you?

Age-wise, you only have to be under 37.

Thanks, this is the information I was looking for.

Quickly skimming this thread, I didn’t spot any quote or cite of Paul Krugman’s recent column, arguing why the Democrats must resist the Republican behavior in Congress:

The G.O.P.’s Doomsday-Machine Politics, Paul Krugman, New York Times, 1/18/2018.

Most Republicans just voted to fund CHIP, while most Democrats voted against it. What are you or Krugman talking about “threatening to hurt millions of children”? The ones doing that are mostly Dems.

What we’re watching is politics as usual, and both sides are engaged in it. The Democrats, who want a clean vote on things they favor, have in the past been quite happy to link things they want with things they are willing to accept. For example, did you know that we could save $500 billion on Medicare without hurting beneficiaries? The Democrats could have passed a clean Medicare reform bill at any time, or joined Republicans on one, and the taxpayers could have been saved huge amounts of money. Instead, they opposed Medicare savings until they could use that money to fund ACA.

Republicans, on the other hand, are holding up legislation that has majority support in both chambers because they don’t want it to pass, even though they claim they do want it to pass. Because they want concessions on other issues.

This is how the system has always worked, what’s new is being willing to shut down the government over it.

In any case, both parties are equally to blame, but Democrats will probably lose the messaging war. As always, just as the Republican party appears to be on the brink of destruction, Democrats throw it a lifeline.