Describe A Gallstone Attack For Me

For a couple weeks, a sense of heaviness, centered right behind your breastbone, above your stomach, gradually increases. You develop a sense of pain as a physical object, lodged in your center. It has weight and shape. It’s not a sharp pain; it’s like the pain you get when you press on a bruise. Only it’s at your very center of gravity.

Meanwhile, as you wait for your insurance coverage to kick in at your new job, your urine starts to get darker, day by day. And your poop is changing too: it’s growing gray, pale gray, and loose. After a couple of weeks of these gradual changes, it occurs to you on your last visit to the bathroom that you’re shitting oatmeal and pissing diet coke. Then you notice your eyes are turning yellow. People around you begin to notice your eyes are turning yellow, and they look at you skeptically when you tell them your insurance will kick in another week.

Two days before your insurance is activated, the white hot fist of god reaches down from the heavens, reaches into your center, and squeezes that heavy globe of pain, squeezes it like it’s the center of the universe and this is the only way he can prevent its sudden, violent end.

When you find yourself in a fetal position on the floor of the emergency room, this is a good time to tell them that your gallbladder has burst. Because until they’re convinced that this is the case, they will assume from your symptoms that you are, in fact, dying of cirrhosis of the liver. This means that you won’t get your vicodin right away, so this is very important. Once your get your first vicodin, the pain is still there, it’s still the center of the known universe, only now, the vicodin allows you to maintain an academic detachment. “Huh. That’s what agony is like. Interesting.”

Then, after your surgery, you will spend almost every waking moment of about the next three weeks trying to fart.

It’s really bad. Like a gas pain at first and then progressively worse until you can’t stop moving. There is no position that isn’t excruciating, but your mind can’t accept that. You lean forward, you clutch, you lean back, you stick your ass in the air - nothing makes it better. For some reason, it’s particularly partial to waking you up at 3 am. I’m extremely tolerant of pain and it made me cry. The only thing that helped was IV Dilaudid. Go to the ER if you have one and get some drugs - it’s too hard to get through it without it. I eventually had my gallbladder out and have had no recurrences and no other problems whatsoever. After a year or so of living in constant fear of gastric distress, I can’t tell you what a relief that is.

My experience was similar to others upthread - writhing in pain, etc. I went to the emergency room once and the people there failed to diagnose the problem correctly. During the next attack I was able to go to my GP and he immediately said gallstones. I laughed and told him that was ridiculous (dunno why that struck me as ridiculous :smack:), so he scheduled me for ultrasound which confirmed it (“yep, you’re full of 'em”, said the technician). Had the gallbladder removed shortly thereafter - instant relief and no problems since.

All I can say is, thank God for lapriscopy!!!

The best description I can give is that it feels like being punched real hard in the solar plexus - the kind of punch that makes you feel like you can’t breathe. Then it lasts for three or four hours.

About a year ago I ended up nearly dead due to a defective gallbladder. I went undiagnosed for the problem apparently for years. So…in my own case there was intense pain on right side of my body. I was having a lot of trouble breathing (in fact, I was diagnosed with a lung problem). Fever. Vomiting. When I would have an attack I was basically completely helpless…I wouldn’t be able to get comfortable, couldn’t catch a breath and was in intense pain.

I finally came to a night when I was so sick for so long that I got scared I was having a heart attack or something and had my wife dive me to the emergency room. After hours of testing I guess the doctors ran out of things it could be and tested me for gallbladder issues…and that’s what it was. I guess I was born with a deformed gb and it was in a similar state to an appendix going bad…so I was rushed to surgery the next day.

-XT