Describe your God

Cute, sorry

A friend uses this analogy-Everyone is on the same train, and the train is guaranteed to reach its destination…but how good a trip it is depends entirely on the passengers themselves.

Who, Jesus? He’s just all right with me.

We’ve already done “cute”. Could you please describe him as best you can?

I’m with Gwendee. I don’t see God as a person, that’d be weird. God is a feeling, like a warm hug. Or a puffy vest in winter.

Which reminds me, what does a dyslexic agnostic insomniac do?

Sits up all night, wondering if there is a dog.

Size, shape, abilities: exists outside the Universe; created it out of nothing.

Personality: loving.

“But the God I don’t believe in is a good God, a just God, a merciful God. He’s not the mean and stupid God you make Him to be.”

-Lieutenant Scheisskopf’s wife in Catch-22

I consider myself as a Christian, but the way that I envision God is far different from the manner in which I was taught as a child. To this end, properties like size, shape, personality, don’t make much sense because, while I understand our (humans in general as relating to God) need to anthropomorphize God, I think it creates more problems than it solves.

To this end, the best way I can imagine describing how I perceive God is as a summation of consciousness. Whether this means that he is outside of the universe as a hyper-dimensional being and created it, whether he is all that is in the universe and essentially created itself and us along with it, or possibly just something that exists inside of the universe, it’s really all kind of irrelevant. The key point, though, is that God is not, in my estimation, likely made of matter and energy, though I suppose he could exist through some manner of emergence and properties we don’t yet understand. Regardless, I’m not really sure that’s here or there.

What does matter is the manner in which I commune with God, and it is very much in a manner not too dissimilar from a state of pure inspiration. In the same manner that I might, say, compose a song or a poem and it seems to write itself, or when in consideration of matters how examples seem to spike in my observations, this is also how God speaks to me. This is something, I think, that works better than an anthropomorphized God, because when I tried to talk to him that way, and expected to receive words, images, feelings, or thoughts and got nothing, it was a major point of crisis in my faith.

One thing I do see, though, as a greater consciousness, is that the consistent ideas of all-encompassing love is essentially what God is by definition. And though I will reference the idea that God has a plan, it’s so much in the sense of looking back at, say, evolution, from the state we’re at now, seeing where we are, and then being aware of that when looking at how things were at some point in the past. In what sense could we meaningfully describe a process as having properties such as size, shape, personality, or even abilities? All we can do is attempt to describe the rules, at least as well as we can estimate or understand that they exist.

God is something I am a part of. Not like Joe Smith is a part of Jones Corporation where he works, and not like vanilla extract is a part of an ice cream recipe, either. More… the way this sentence is a part of this paragraph which in turn is a part of this post.

The sentence exists unto itself, and yet it occurs as, and because, it is a part of the paragraph, and both it and the paragraph occur as, and because, they are a part of the larger context. The smaller parts obtain a vast portion of their meaning from the context in which they occur, but they also are a part of the larger context which would not be complete if you took the smaller components out. And if you took out all of the smaller components the larger context just ceases to be there. God is a sense of identity. I am AHunter3. We are the species human. Both of those are true statements and they are both valid senses of identity, one of them singular and one of them plural. God is… superplural. All-encompassing. More plural than any “we” could ever be. WEME3. That is God. Identity to the third power.

The entirety of the universe is the body of God. God exists because God chose to exist. No prior cause gave rise to God. No subsequent event exists as a separate, caused event, either: all events are God in motion, transpiring over time. To the question “Who are you”, God would answer, “I am that which is”. Consciousness, as well as the passage of time, are subsets, or subcharacteristics, of God.

God is superplural, not supernatural. God is real, albeit an abstraction. If you seek proof of God’s existence in the form of measurable effects, everything measurable is an effect of God. Hence the logical question is not so much “Can you prove that your God exists” but rather “Is it useful to utilize this concept when thinking of everything, or understanding things”. I have found it so.

The universe does have a consciousness, but humans are incapable of defining or conceiving it.

But you are?

What is your reason for thinking the universe has a consciousness? Is there any evidence to support this? I am unaware of any.

Where’d you get that idea?

There is no evidence. I’m basing this solely on conjecture. That’s the way gods are. Gods have little basis in truth.

Well, he’s sitting at a computer, wearing a Red Sox jersey (and what other way to explain last year???) and he’s commenting in a thread called “Describe your God”.

And since humor is being frowned upon in this thread…

In the words of Alec Baldwin, “I AM God.”

I believe in the Triune God as spoken of in the Nicene and Apostolic creeds. The Creeds – The Episcopal Church

God is a real person with no physical being. Since that concept is kinda hard for humans to deal with, God has traditionally been refered to as “male”. I’ve seen an alternate way of referring to God. Instead of the familiar “Father, Son, and Holy Spirit” one could say, “Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier.”

God took on human form in the person of Jesus. God also appeared in human form to Abraham. God can pretty much do whatever God wants to do, omnipotent and omniscient.

God is the ground of being, or even being itself. Not the god of the Baptist church I grew up in, but too much for some in the UU Church I belong to now. Bottom line is it works for me.

I’m a Buddhist but I believe in all the Gods, just not their human created, nonsensical baggage. They aren’t physical beings just spiritual entities, and don’t ‘look’ like any one fixed thing. And I’m not sure where they are, but out there, everywhere. I feel I have the right to appeal to any or all of them for protection or favour anytime I like.

I think maybe everyone so inclined should just find one that speaks to them and then learn whatever they can from their words or life. Also I think it’s okay to switch up for different times and phases of life. Why should I worship the same God in youth as old age? Got a special problem? Find the right God for that issue, I say, no need to be bound by the God you were raised with. Find ritual that feels right in your soul, that you truly enjoy, that brings you pleasure!

How can anyone not worship life when before a smiling, reclining Buddha? :slight_smile:

According to the psalmist all are gods, at least Jewish men. I believe the word God means something or being with power, not the creator of all things. No one can in truth say anything about God because God is unknown. that is why there are so many religions. No one can prove any thing about God or a god, just belief in what they were taught, or desire.

She wears a burqa.