Diagnosis: If a car headlight doesn't work on low-beam...

Yeah, you might forget to disconnect and reconnect the electrical plug for the bulb. :smiley: :smiley:

I second this.

The first part is also a pretty common arrangement, but I wasn’t writing a Chilton’s manual;) . The second part is certainly possible, but I have not seen it.

Steps 4 & 5, unless my brain is cramping and you mean something else that I’m not thinking of. If the former is the case, then :p, if the latter :o

I’ve been having the same issue with my 2000 Mitsubishi Pajero iO. But I suspect it is a problem in the fuse box as a few other electrical problems arose at the same time as the headlight problem and those seem to run on fuses at are adjacent to the headlamp fuse. Sigh.

Does Chilton still publish? We had them at the library where I worked, I was able to fix a fellow employee’s car after a former boyfriend ripped the cables off of her distributor…a Dodge Charger, as I recall…but I digress. I haven’t seen a Chilton in some time, absolutely no automobile schematics.

Then you’re out of sequence. On designs where the electrical plug is exposed, disconnecting it should be step one. On designs where the plug is inaccessible until a cover is removed, removing said cover is step one and disconnecting the plug is step two. You don’t want to be doing the steps 1,2, & 3 you’ve listed with the plug still connected.

They absolutely do! To be honest, though, Haynes is the more available choice around here.

Hmm, it works in my mind and I just replaced bulbs on my wife’s (Tucson) and Daughter’s (CR-V) vehicles. I guess we’ll just have to agree that I’m a lousy tech writer!

Some cars (like Saab) have a relay that controls headlight operation.
Make sure the relay is making good contact in its socket, if it doesn’t need replacing.