Did anything good come out of World War I?

That reminded me of another Jew, Albert Einstein.

I remember that if WWI had not taken place Einstein and a lot of modern physics would had been discredited as Lawrence Krauss pointed once.

Einstein had predicted in 1914 about the values of the gravitational distortion of light that one would observe in an eclipse thanks to general relativity, but he got his numbers wrong.

If WWI had not taken place his theory would had been tested and found to be wrong. But happily (I mean really unhappily, but it helped in this case) WWI happened and prevented the tests from being made. By the time astronomers could make the eclipse observations Einstein had noticed his error and published the values that the theory expected.

After a few observations it was found that Einstein was correct.

Have you a link fir that, GIG?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Long video, but I will point at the part:

Lawrence Krauss talks about Einstein and the background for the astronomy tests for the theory that were made in 1919. He starts talking about that at about minute 17 and 43 seconds.

At 18:30 He talks about his incorrect prediction in 1914.

Was that the war where the Brits learned that switching from cloth hats to metal helmets resulted in an increase in head injuries?

No, but he probably could have used a transfusion, after that spear in the side.

I also remember that in a recent documentary on Einstein it was reported that some researchers actually had set the equipment for an eclipse back in 1914 in the Crimea, but the armies of the Tzar put a stop to that, the astronomers had their equipment confiscated and all of them were arrested, they were lucky not to be executed as spies.

Sometimes science is a very dangerous business.

Thanks again, I wish that I had a better look at the math. :slight_smile:

This guy has a problem with his math for a flat universe. It is beyond me, though I dreampt of trigonometric substitution when I took differential equations. :slight_smile:

Well, this is going way besides the issue, I was sticking with Einstein and WWI, but I have comment that I do have a problem with a physicist (the guy you link at) that spent his last years before retirement at Lehman Brothers, at least he was smart to leave a couple of years before it blew up like a supernova. :slight_smile:

Ran across this in an edX online course about biomanufacturing:

Tanks, U-boats, flamethrowers, railway guns, light automatic weapons, submachine guns, synchronized machine guns on aircraft, and many more ways to kill your enemies!

If you call those good.

Dada began as an antiwar art movement and became the first serious avant-garde art movement of the 20th Century. Plus, aircraft improved from month to month. WWI wasn’t the first war to use airplanes,but they went very quickly from quirky reconnaissance machines to serious weapons of war.

Also, before the war, American women on the beach dressed like prudish grandmothers. After the war, they started to show more and more skin at the beach and pool.

Arguably, Soviet Russia was marginally better off than Tsarist Russia.