Did Hitler Do ANYTHING Beneficial?

Especially the one about the Autobahn.

I was always under the impression that it was built solely for WWII military arms transport.

Also the Von Braun reference: No doubt he helped us with the “Space Race”, but I was never completely convinced that he didn’t have a “shady” past.

In regard to the atrocious medical experiments, I am glad many of the results were discounted. No human being should have to undergo this kind of torture for the sake of “medical research”.

The kind of information presented in this thread makes me wonder about the accuracy of The History Channel.

Thanks

Q

I don’t think there’s actually any controversy about von Braun: He was willing to work with and for any government that would fund his research. He probably didn’t share the more reprehensible Nazi views, but he didn’t object to them, either. Sort of a mercenary scientist.

Gather round while I sing you of Wernher von Braun!

Those labor corps of the early-to-mid '30s - complete with snappy uniforms and mass appearances at the Party Congresses - were a crucial element in cementing the people’s loyalty. Hitler promised Arbeit und Brot, and at first, anyway, people got work and bread who had had neither.

Sure. In the bunker.

With a poison pill, & a pistol.

Better late than never.

Mad STYLE.

Perhaps not Hitler’s personal effort, but approved I’m sure.
Those SS uniforms just scream death! When you add the skulls and runic symbols, not to mention those awesome boots and armbands I just want to run and hide lemme tellya. The best outfit mankind ever made.

Plus Hitler ruined that stupid mustache for all time. Bonus points.

There’s a book out by Robert Proctor called The Nazi War on Cancer. Apparently the Nazi’s were interested in public health, and were among the first people to link smoking with cancer, and campaigned to get parents to stop giving babies beer.

About the Volkswagen Beetle: Tatra 97 - Wikipedia

There’s also the fact that the physical condition of the subjects of these experiments was pretty bad to start with. It’s hard to draw reliable scientific conditions about the results when they started with people who were already sick, half starved, short on sleep, etc.

Semi-serious response:

Hitler and Nazis are responsible for 60+ years of movie villains and probably inspired countless great literature and video games. The immortality of the Third Reich that they could not obtain in real life has been granted tenfold in fiction. It will be a long time before any one group or person approaches Hitler and the Nazi’s as examples of the epitome of pure evil

:D:D:D

Other than Chaplin and that guy in Sparks, I don’t remember anyone famous who’s ever sported it, and it’s completely wrong if your mouth looks like it is always in a frown.

Q

The SDSTAFF’s Was Hitler a Christian? mentions as an aside that Hitler “recommended that parents give their children milk to drink instead of beer and started the first anti-smoking campaign.”

Yitzhak Shamir, the Israeli prime minister.

Max Fleischer, the guy who did the Betty Boop and Popeye cartoons.

Oliver Hardy, of Laurel and Hardy fame.

Sayyid Qutb, founder of the modern Islamicist movement.

Robert Mugabe, dictator of Zimbabwe, who takes a toothbrush mustache to a ridiculous extreme.

Prince Konoye, one of the Prime Ministers of Japan during World War II.

J. Jonah Jamison, hot tempered Daily Bugle editor and Spiderman nemesis.

According to the 32 volumes of Encyclopaedia Britannica, no.
Volume 20, Article “Hitler”:

I don’t have a cite but I read somewhere once that Hitler helped pass the first Anti-Vivisection law.

Regarding the moustache:

[quote]

Hitler created some passable to pretty good watercolor paintings. So that was kind of nice.

Hardly the first!

James I of England in 1604 wrote A Counter Blaste to Tobacco, which surely earlier than Hitler.

Hitler’s rep as a teetotaler wasn’t total. He occasionally took a bit of lager with his meals, because it aided his (famously tetchy) digestion.

The SS ruined the deaths head (totenkopf) as a unit insignia. Now it is seen as being a symbol of the Nazis and its Hussar heritage gets ignored.