Did I find a meteorite?

How did she sneak in there without me noticing??? I must have been distracted by falling stars.

Did you check out this website yet?

http://epswww.unm.edu/iom/ident/index.html

It looks like it could be a Chondrite due to what look like inclusions in the area where it was broken. Though it’s tough to tell if it’s a different material or if it’s just a different texture not reflecting the camera’s flash. However, if it’s not magnetic it’s not a meteorite. Are you using a good magnet or a weak refrigerator magnet? Did you test it all over the rock, especially the differing types of material exposed at the break?

It looks like it might have a fusion crust and the fact that it seems like it lacks any crystalline structure or any layers seems to differentiate it from most examples of anthracite or obsidian I have seen.

I hate to burst anyones virtual bubble but that looks exactly like coal or ancient solidified oil…We find it all the time up here in CT. It’s been rolled around for a long time in the sand so it get’s nice and smooth yet has some holes in it still… I wish I had a piece I could photograph and post…I probably have a few pieces down by the dock. Looks cool though.

But how? It’s such an irregular object. I’m gonna crack this problem. I’ll go think about it in a nice hot bath.

Newcrasher, are you sure about that attraction? Possibly the pieces just mechanically fit together and there’s not an actual force of attraction.

Wanted to add, it does look like anthracite to me. Doesn’t look like any rocky or metallic meteorites I’ve seen pictures of.

Mop up the floor when you’re done this time, Archimedes!

This is a good site for checking if you have a meteorite. Meteorite Or Meteorwrong? Some Meteorite Realities

Your pictures look like coal to me. The site is an interesting one to read anyway.